Saturday, March 20, 2010

Happy Mule

Yes I admit it. I am obsessed by my animals. My life circles around them, and their health.

Sure I can have sternum cartilage that is torn~which believe me hurts like the devil...and by the way, it is getting better.

BUT one of my animals gets ill or seems to be in distress and I literally feel awful. I had such a sense of dread when Badger was having so much difficulty breathing.
I think it may have been the very first time that I had to face the fact that some day he may not be in my life.
And that, my friends is unimaginable to me.

I cannot imagine life without those big ears, calm eyes, soft bray, and the ever so steady mount that he is.
He and I have a bond where most of the time I do not even have to verbally communicate with him.
Some days when I ride him, ...
I think of where I want to go...
and he goes there.

It is as if he knows my thoughts.

In reality I know that after 14 years of being riding partners, he can read my body language like a book.
I am grateful that I also pay acute attention to how he is doing or this could have been a disaster.

Today his Heart Rate is normal. His respiration rate has decreased, and he looks absolutely wonderful.

Put a mule in your heart and he/she will keep a portion of it as their own.

2 comments:

  1. So nicely put. Couldn't have said it better myself. Amazing how one animal can be a big part of your life for so many years. It is hard to imagine life without that long-eared friend. Somehow I think that you and Badger still have many miles to go together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We hope to retire together...of course you have figured out that he is that one animal that is a 'soul' mate.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.