Wednesday, February 02, 2022

Trail Challenge, KVR


Text to Bill: You still on for today?

Yes! Give me 3 minutes.


I was at Bill's house waiting for him. We had planned at an 11AM meet time at his house. Bill is consistent, I have to give him that. He is consistent in not being quite on time. 

I don't mind mainly because I have figured out by now, that I must be the odd one out. I'm always early for most everything.

We started at Pott's Corners and head up the West Ridge Trail. West Ridge Trail also serves as a snowmobile trail in the winter time. 

I'm in charge of keeping track of our segments and mileage. Bill is there for the fresh air and the challenge. I told him I'd keep track of what we did. 


Bill said in order for him to keep track of where he was going, he was going to photo every trail marker as we went along. 
I recognize the trails more by landmarks than the signs. I like his method and asked him to share his photos of the markers to add to our story.

West Ridge Trail Segment 22:


When we came to the above spot, I stopped and commented on how similar and different this spot looked since we'd last walked this portion of the trail in November.


Charlie was having a blast, he became our fearless leader. The trail was compacted and groomed so he didn't have to snow-swim.

West Ridge Trail Segment: 20


He ran hard and fast then would stop and turn around as if to see why we were so slow.


Look a those little legs! All of them off the ground!

At marker 3 things can get sort of confusing. Going southwest feels wrong when you know you eventually want to be east of where you are standing. I wanted to connect up with the Ice Cave Trail and order to do that we had to come off the ridge and go down towards the old horse crossing [no longer in use].

Following the map [paper map ~ don't plan on your phone always getting reception] we headed on a serpentine trail towards the valley.

West Ridge Trail Segment 19:


At the bottom of the ridge we found marker #5. The Ice Cave Trail. 

Segment 26


This year was very dry and in much wetter years, this trail does go over more than one spot where ice caves form.

Bill and I spotted this from high up on the ridge.



We had a discussion about climbing down for a closer look. So I made my way part of the way down the side of the gully. 

I yelled up to Bill and said, "Oh MAN, this is a GO!"



What's a trail challenge without the exploration? 

Charlie beat us down into it and ran back and fort in the dry sand.




And the ice viewed from inside the rock shelter was nothing short of amazing.



I think Bill and I just kept saying ... 
WOW over and over again.




Here is Bill as we prepare to find a way back up and out. At this point we wished we had 4 legs like Charlie.

We hit the trail again. It was a beautiful trail, but we were still discussing the ice fall, ice cave, or should it be called the ice curtain of green?

We came to Little Canada Trail and pondered the confusing signs. I headed east knowing that the other direction looked as if it were going the right way, but would lead us back to the West Ridge Trail.

Little Canada twists and turns through a thick forest. 

Little Canada Segment 27

Bill photographs trail markers and the damage done by the December wind storms.


Charlie leads us through the afternoon sun along the trail.


My interpretation of the following sign: Horse sees bicycle and bucks like crazy!


Before we leave Little Canada and get onto old 131 which is segment 9, we stop for a few minutes so Charlie can stand on his stump and get his cookie. Really, this is his stump, each time we hike this trail I set him on this stump so he can have a snack.

June 2nd 2021




We finished segment 9 and ....



Done....


Our mileage for the day was approximately 5 1/2 miles.

We still have plenty of trails to cover!

It was a great day.

4 comments:

  1. That green ice was amazing I said "OH WOW"...so Gene had to look too and said the same thing! Love Charlies stump...perfect for a snack place! So glad you got to get out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, thank you so much for taking us along with you! The green curtain is just awesome! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I thought it would be fun if I sort of kept track of this challenge. Hopefully I can complete it this year. If Bill isn't able to do all of it, I certainly will try.
      We want to do this together...and with Charlie too!

      We are always amazed and surprised by new things we find in nature.

      Delete
  3. I think it is so great you are documenting your Trail Challenge with Bill!! You can relive the memories in detail for years to come. That blue ice color is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.