Friday, February 04, 2022

Cold Day ~ Warm Porch Observations

When we remodeled our house, we added a porch on the south side of the house. It has a sloping roof and a concrete pad. It isn't fancy but extends out 10 feet and runs the width of the house.

In the summer the sun is high enough that I can sit in the shade shuck corn or clean veggies and enjoy being outside at the same time.
In the winter the sun is low and shines on to the porch and sunlight fills our house.

Yesterday with the temperature hoovering at 5 degrees F, I was able to sit out on a stiff back chair in my insulated coveralls and furry hat and be warm! The light wind was from the north. I had to wait for a delivery anyway, so I thought fresh air would be nicer than sitting in the house listening to the TV.

I decided to grab my camera and the binoculars and watch the birds. They weren't really bothered by me sitting on the porch and after I settled in, they resumed their activities.

I was surprised by the visitors I was able to see. The fawns below have come up to the south side of the old red shed to avoid the cold north breeze and graze in one of  Lil' Richard & Sven's summer pens. The other fawn decided to browse through my shady perennial garden for things to eat.



The north hillsides are deep in hard crusty snow and so the deer need to find south facing hillsides to graze. I was very surprised to see them in the middle of the day until I checked the forecast. When the barometer moves, so do the deer.

The mules took naps as did the horse. Some stretched out on their sides. Siera is in this shot below. A dragon Mule! 



She got up and shook. No, she is not pregnant. She is fat. She is such an easy keeper, I think if she looked at hay she would gain weight. I used to ride her nearly every day, but this past year, she has pretty much just been a pasture decoration.


The visit by the crows really surprised me. They are such interesting birds. 



This is a terrible shot, but this is also the reason I went out to sit on the porch. The Titmice birds were absolutely fun with their antics flying to and fro from the pines to the feeder. I wanted to 'catch' one with its wings open.


I kept trying but I kept missing her or his flights to the feeder. I tried rapid fire and always seemed to miss them taking flight.


I did learn that the Titmouse grabs a mouthful of seeds and takes it to the tree branches to eat. As does the Nuthatch.




Twice the Big Birds came through. 
Eagles.
We have two pair that hang around here and have a nest about a mile away [as the crow flies].



The Juncos and Titmice seem to get along just fine, except when they want to fight over the seeds on the ground.


I learned to recognize the Downy Woodpecker by the sound of its wings as it raced from one tree to another and swung low in front of the porch.


I finally decided to just close my eyes and listen to the sounds around me. I was warm, the sun was bright and the noises of the forest were pretty comforting.

I started to wonder why I've never been interested in birds before. I mean, I sort of was. But not like this.
I guess this is a good consequence of being sort of home bound.
Maybe learning more about birds and observing them isn't such a bad thing.



Nature seems patient, it seems I could learn this too.





9 comments:

  1. What a lovely view of the world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your property is like a wild life sanctuary. It is neat you discovered this sitting and waiting thing. You were able to get some great shots of birds and deer. The titmouse is a beautiful bird. We rarely seem them here. Waiting for things to happen is sometimes a great thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, this is one of the reasons we love living here so much. I never was one to watch or photograph birds until now. It is quite fun!

      Delete
  3. The best part of hunting was sitting in the woods surrounded by birds and squirrels. ( Unless you were hunting the squirrels... then they magically disappeared!) I was never much of a hunter, but I liked having a reason to sit in the woods for hours. So much goes on in the forest and everyone misses it. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, squirrels are abundant unless you are hunting them. I had a fiest terrier that would tree them like crazy even though I was not hunting them.
      I enjoy the forest in the winter for this reason...you can see what is going on!

      Delete
  4. Such pretty photos! WE love watching the birds too! It is a great activity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping to get to the bird blind at KVR this spring and spend time watching the waterfowl come in! That huge pond gets so much activity.

      Delete
  5. I really enjoy feeding & watching our backyard birds. As you know, I also love photographing them in their natural habitat. I should get out & do it more often.

    I haven't gotten into the ebird.org tracking stuff, but that might be something you would enjoy. I use that site more for info than tracking my bird finds. There is so much to observe & learn about in nature, and birding is no exception. A life long entertaining hobby one can appreciate at any age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. I should check that out so I can see when birds are migrating. I'm enjoying birds and tree shapes right now.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.