Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Snow Day

 




Charlie doesn't need YakTraks or ice cleats obviously. Look at those feet! We decided to go for a nice morning walk to the ridge and down through the woods and around the neighbor's meadow.

The snow in the area is compacted and very rough on the deer trails. I had to walk carefully, but Bigfoot darted all around the place like a wild man. He had chased two squirrels and was on a roll.

The road on the ridge was covered in a layer of snow and under that was ice. This is one of those times where the ice wasn't thick enough to bury the gravel underneath so traction wasn't too bad. The mist was still coming down and icing all east facing branches.


I had trees on my mind. The light was dull and pretty gloomy but I enjoy days like this for different types of photography.

You've seen this boxelder before and for whatever reason, I stop often in the winter and summer to photograph it. The kid in me wants to make a fort here.


Funny how you can take the same route over and over and see different things. I never saw the shape of this particular tree before. The light and the misty atmosphere stopped me in my tracks. 

Here is the full tree, and below that is a cropped version of what I really found fascinating.


Cropped version


Everything seems to be moving to the right in this shot. Strange right?

Soon enough Spring will arrive and the trees will have leaves which will hide their incredible features.


After lunch we had a grand time watching the birds at the feeder. I tried to hone in a skill of 'catching' a bird in flight while leaving a branch.

I'll save that for another day.


4 comments:

  1. Charlie has feet great for traction in the snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We go a slight dusting last night. But mostly... Freezing rain! Not fun for driving OR clearing off your car. But it does make the trees and lawns very pretty, looking like candy coated glass. Can't wait for warmer weather to come back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oldest daughter is an Emily. Your tree looks like an "E" tree! Traction is important!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your tree shape visions!! I can't walk the dogs without trackers on my feet either. I figure it's better safer to wear them, than sorry.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.