Thursday, February 17, 2022

I saw some birds

Quiet week. Not much happening around here. 

Generally the birds on the ground below the feeder are Juncos and Chickadees.
But a flock of house sparrows zoomed in while I just happened to be watching.

It was fun to use the rapid fire setting and see what transpired. Sparrows are so quick I'm sure I'd have missed most of what was going on if I hadn't done so. Apparently sparrows are like chickens, they hang out in a flock and have a pecking order and squabble frequently over who is boss.

These were shot through the window. 






My grandfather didn't like sparrows, crows, and bluejays. 

Since they are part of the bird world whether we like it or not, I enjoy watching them just as much as the other birds. My husband never has nice things to say about Bluejays either, but I like their colors and their calls. They go silent when raising young.

According to Cronell Lab All About Birds, they do eat other birds eggs but not as often as we thought. 



Yard Pest!
Well, at least it wasn't a 'possum. 
Rabbits are like the sparrows, all over the place.

The only time I disagree with rabbits is when they eat things in my garden. They did trim some plants this winter along the front of the porch. But I guess they have to eat too.




Yesterday while I was on the phone to the VA, a Bluebird landed on a Shephard's hook right outside the window. I was so surprised that I hollered out to hubby while I was talking with her.

He came in and looked. The bird spent up to a minute looking at us before it flew away.

According to 'legend' or lore, seeing a bluebird is supposed to be something like good luck or a harbinger of good luck, happiness, joy, hope, and a sign of spring.

It may be just a bit early for spring but I'll take the rest of it!

6 comments:

  1. I love Bluejays. So much personality. My cousins even had one as a pet... so fun. I pretty much like all birds at this point in my life... Even Crows ( Especially, ravens and crows) sure they are noisy... But so are dogs...And Children! A Blue Bird already! I'm surprised I have not seen any Robins lately. They show up in Iowa around February so they can eat all the crabapples. I have seen possibly HUNDREDS of them in the trees in the neighbors yard. In Michigan, seeing a Robin meant Spring was near. Here in Iowa... It means: Robins are not bothered by the cold or snow after all...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were Robins here all winter long last year. It was odd finding them. But they ate Buckthorn berries and anything else they could find.
      I haven't seen any this year!

      Delete
  2. Yeah for seeing a bluebird,! We made the trip back home fine holy cow is there snow here. I don’t like the blue jays much they are seed hogs here and chase off the little birds we have a bunny here I saw the tracks. I will have to shovel tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I bet you missed shoveling snow! :)
      Bluejays are pests but so is the Flicker and the Woodpecker! I'm learning to enjoy them all.

      Delete
  3. Fun bird watching! Great shots of the fluffy Jay. I like Blue Jays, even if they are sassy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all God's creatures :0)
    I miss having bird feeders and talking photos of them bossing each other around for the best spot. Gold finches and common redpolls mostly.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.