Monday, February 14, 2022

Once upon a time in a land ...

....not so far away...

Hubby and I used to ride nearly every week and weekend at the land formerly known as The Government Ground.

Here is hubby riding Jack on the Water Road. You won't find it any more as it hasn't been used in many years. It was a black top road that was submerged under the Million Dollar Bridge to Rockton. It was a short cut to the Cut Off trail and the Rookery.






My youngest son was just turning 16 and he rode with us quite a bit. Jer is on Fred and this was 25 years ago. Fred is still with us!


We often had lunch on Little Canada Trail just above the 'Poo. 



Shot from my mule Billy Bob. Part of the original trail that is still there if you look hard enough, but  was deemed unsafe after a bad accident along the bluffs.


Here is Rich and I taking a break after lunch. 


These shots were taken with my little green pocket camera that I always carried with me while riding. It was an easy camera to operate. Change film and shoot!

Rich at Hanson's Rock Lookout. 
1996


With Valentine's Day coming, I was looking back on ... well, you know. Sweet endearing memories and I came across these old photos.



8 comments:

  1. Happy VALentines Day!! What great memories & pics to love. I didn't know there was/is a Rookery at KVR. A bird rookery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes a Rookery ... we passed under them and always were silent. They were white birds. I don't recall the what kind of birds only that we were told to be QUIET. And there was a LOT of poop! I imagine when KVR took over they deemed that a place where folks shouldn't go.
      I could probably get there on foot, but there are no designated trails any longer.
      I rode through it several times and we normally stayed out during nesting season.

      Delete
    2. I showed Rich a video of the white egret and he says he recognizes their noises.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful country and beautiful memories! Happy Valentines day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet photos and remembrances of great times. Happy Galentines Day Val. I made surprise tea party lunches for my old lady neighbors (contemporaries) and am off to deliver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good memories! Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 25 years is a LIFETIME! We forget how difficult taking pics were even back in 2000. We had a "Jam Cam" that we could plug into our computer. IT ate batteries for snacks and had terrible quality, but at least the pics were free, as opposed to the film developers who charged you for blurry pictures. Looks like it was a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Precious memories.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.