Tuesday, February 08, 2022

Crazy on Trees

Twisted Sister Tree.
she dances to her
own desires...


I was walking along the run off ditch that was created many years ago on the west side of our place. The farm west of us and our place used to be one.

At some point in time, someone dug a 'ditch' for water to run from off the hillsides. That way it didn't wash out portions of the pasture. Neat twisted and odd looking boxelders stand on each side of the ditch as if they were watching over it.

I was looking to see if I could find the same exact spot I'd taken a photo of last March on a spooky foggy day. 

I have no idea why, except I thought it would be fun to tromp through the snow early in the morning and see if I could find where that exact spot was. 
I did find the spot and in the bright snow and early sunlight, it was rather unimpressive.

Instead I looked around and found another interesting tree.

I am assuming that this tree is what is we locals call a scrub apple tree. Thorny and nasty, the trunks are generally gnarled and bizarre. Somehow they survive and blossom each spring.

Embracing One's
inner elf
is harmonious





The Ditch Guardian
wise, old,
gnarled, yet still
alive.



The trail in the middle of the photo runs alongside the ditch and all year there is a worn trail from each animal that inhabits these woods. The cattle in the summer and everything else in the winter. I'm fairly sure that the Guardian Tree is a boxelder also. The dead parts hang over the trail, the live parts twist and grow to the west.

I wonder, if this tree could talk, what would it tell me about the floods it has seen, the animals it has observed, and does it laugh at the humans who try to control nature's whims?

Be Like A Tree
Stay grounded and true
to yourself...


This is the same tree from last year! Just seen on a foggy morning. It still looks like it is dancing to me. ~~~ The Twisted Sister

My all time favorite tree.

Comfort tree
rest under my
branches or
climb them...
and find a 
secret place...


Another view of this tree 


I think I'm going to spend some more time looking just for interesting tree shapes before spring arrives and changes everything.


6 comments:

  1. Looks like you guys still have a lot of snow. Ours is melting fast! 50+ degrees today! Yeah! Boxelder is a very pretty wood to carve and make furniture out of. Lots of colors swirl in their grain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thanks for that info, I had no idea and I like to whittle and do a bit of carving!

      Delete
  2. I love the shapes of these trees. You have such a great eye for the best views of these branches.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my I like trees too! Some of them do seem like they are talking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why that is your fav tree!! I also really like the huggable tree you always photograph near the KVR lookout we hiked to.

    Can I assume you include tree pose in your yoga practice? It is great for so many reasons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been horribly lax in the Yoga area. Seems my motivation went sideways.

      I was thinking about that oak tree today and wondering how slick that lookout trail would be!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.