Thursday, September 16, 2021

Setting goals and boundaries


Sometimes just a change in pace and setting up goals are what could be needed for changing a person's outlook. My outlook.


Tai Chi is another tool to use. Rich and I did it together for a while to assist with his depression and PTSD. He felt relaxed and in a better place after we did a 30 minute lesson together. It was put on by the VA mental health folks in Madison. We had received a video to practice with at home. It fell by the wayside of course.

However, I transferred the mindfulness relaxation exercise to my computer files so I could bring it up later. 
I'd forgotten all about it until another blogger mentioned Tai Chi.

I was not brought up to be open to things like Yoga/Pilates/Tai Chi. Hard work was our exercise and tension release.

Now I'm a bit more open to other ideas. Why not? After 3 days of Beginner's Yoga and giving myself a mindfulness break, I am feeling quite chilled out.

I set boundaries for us too. My hikes will be on Thursdays weather permitting. I messaged my hiking pal with that info too. I'm not going to constantly rearrange my hike times for his schedule. [This was a helpful tip from my son]

I felt stuck in a rut like a little gerbil on a caged wheel. Perhaps these things will help. I don't feel so stuck right now. Not much has changed other than an attitude adjustment and of course making some goals.

Morning view from the porch


Evening view to the west


Today's events include a hike at KVR. I'll be doing a quiet relaxing hike with Charlie while exploring a new trail. Well, a new trail to us.

Below: Long lens across the field to my neighbor's lower yard. I guess these does want to play soccer!




5 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:40 AM

    Great suggestion from your very smart son, setting the hiking boundaries. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I appreciate his viewpoints!

      Delete
  2. Going hiking on Thursdays will give you something to look forward to! I am certain we will start some Tai Chi this winter also...right now I am getting my workout with projects outside!
    Keep hanging in there!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so get that! I spent part of the day piling huge branches into piles to burn this fall in the pastures from the windstorms we had!

      Delete
  3. The meme is hilarious! It takes continuous practice to breath all that stuff out, and just. be. in. the. moment. Hard for me, but feels so wonderful when I'm able to. Looking forward to getting back to clearing my overwhelmed head.

    SO glad you are finding what works for you, now.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.