Friday, September 03, 2021

Doctor Doctor

Now that I am OF age, a curious thing happened. I had a complete Wellness Exam. 

I GREW shorter! I'm a half inch shorter than I was at 20 yrs old. Well, no real surprise there. I'm a little people.

Taking care of me is as important as taking care of hubby. 
A couple of things came up. The eyeball thing of course which will be re-evaluated tomorrow, stress from caregiving and dealing with the mental status of the other half.

My doctor Ann, is awesome. I've been with her for 23 years. She said with the stress and anxiety issues I go through she'd like me to go see a counselor. I agreed. [Seeing means by zoom in these times and I am not sure about that. I need human contact. Even if it means conversing outside.] Phone calls are OK. But seeing another face other than my walls is what I need.

Interesting that she said I qualified for meds for this. She rattled off the med list and I shook my head with each one. She smiled and said she did not see me taking those meds either. 

I told her what I currently do to try to keep sane. I will go back to CF with modified exercises until the bay doors are closed for cold weather. Then I will go back to Virtual CF. She prescribed hiking and Yoga

So I have a diagnosis code Z63.6 which is Dependent Relative. The hardest part is having to admit it to your provider. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been this comfortable discussing these issues in a Zoom or Virtual Appointment. 

Here is a not so great fact. Most CareGivers do not outlive their dependent if they do not take steps to Care For Themselves.

This is not new information to me. It is just how it is. I hate to admit it, but I do have more times per week that I get irritated with the other half for no real reason. I always am nicer after a nice long hike or workout.

And now I will take time to do a bit of bragging. I passed my exam with flying colors as far as all the vital readings go. I even got a BMI rating! Too funny, I had to look it up. 
Since I am small, I've got to do a bone density test. Hmmm, how do you study for that? One fasting lab and poke and I'm done with my tests. 

I also got the flu shot and am scheduling shots for Shingles. Interestingly enough on a side note. A friend who WILL not get the Covid vaccine did get the Shingles vaccine. 

Ruminate on that for a moment.

My last thoughts for today.
Doctor Ann told me that last week they had to divert patients because our little hospital had NO room in the ER or beds. She did not say why, she just said it happened.
The ambulance had to take patients to another state. There were no available ER's within 100 miles of our tiny town.

It did not make our local news. 

She told me to stay safe and do her prescribed hiking and yoga plan. To follow up with a phone call to get in touch with a counselor if the VA couldn't provide any help.

~~~~~

I'm going to make up a sheet to put on the fridge. 

It will go something like this:

Val must go hiking every week as a prescribed medication. Dr. Ann Said So.

I do like my doctor.



8 comments:

  1. I like your DR too, she seems realistic and caring. Sounds like you had an overall good appointment, addressed concerns and got direction. I bet she would write your "prescription" plan down for you on some official looking paper to hang up, and even sign :) We are given a hard copy visit summery, if you get one that would look official too. Either way, I have no doubt you will follow her orders. I dread doctor visits, but always feel some relief just from taking action.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not anti meds, I just know that a pill is not always a solution if I can do something about it. The other half was super grumpy and a bit curt when I went off for a hike yesterday.
      Oh well.

      Delete
  2. I like your Dr. too.
    It isn't the real him making the curt remarks and being grumpy. It the "other him".
    Go, do your thing. Be well for you! See ya on the other side of the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well being Grumpy and curt is a sign that his depression is kicking up a notch and frankly I know he can be nicer if he choses to be.

      Delete
  3. Bone density test? Don't they just make you stand with a bunch of weights on your head until you crush under the weight? Whatever that final number is.... THAT is your bone density. (Now "Broken" bone density)
    Going to the doctor scares the crap out of me. Probably because I went a LOT as a kid ( mostly broken bones... I was active! And Clumsy.) I understand the neighbor not wanting the Covid vax, but willing to get the Shingles. She/he is not anti-vax.... Just anti- 'New and Untested, trust us! It will work and have NO side effects, government issued and mandated" vax. Call her skeptical. ( and possibly a Libertarian....)
    Hiking! The BEST prescription a doctor can offer. ( next to "take a vacation!") Outdoor therapy is the best. ( my opinion...) Enjoy those great outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently even though I am active and do all sorts of things, ... since I am a small person under the weight of 134 lbs, I am at some sort of risk for osteoporosis. If I had brittle bones, I'd have been in the ER several times already but I'll do it as it is part of the Wellness Package.

      Delete
  4. Being a caregiver is hard, Real hard somedays. Do what you have to do to stay sane...hike, yoga. You are worth it! I am glad you had a good appointment and got that out of the way before Covid gets worse...although I think some places are bad...like small hospitals. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes all appointments will be finished up before mid October and I can settle back into our quiet farm life.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.