Wednesday, September 01, 2021

One little clump of Fungi

 


This little pretty clump grew on the log next to where I have one of my trail cameras. It was really small maybe an 1.5 inches across the top. I just grabbed a quick shot for a possible ID later. 
One of the books says it was a grey oyster mushroom. Though seriously? I'm not picking and eating things I don't know enough about.

I can forage quite a few wild plants, but the fungi/mushroom world is still a work in progress for me.

Day two...They are starting to look ragged and breaking down. Tiny insects were all over them. Small enough to be 'flea' sized!

The didn't smell bad but a flurry of tiny bugs flew up when I poked the fungi.




Day three, a bit more ragged! But very beautiful in the heat and oppressive humidity.



Okay....


Well, it may be a type of oyster fungi. And I DID get back there while checking fences and it just looked like a mess of slimly blob stuff.



And then...

it was gone as if it never was.


And this it is with fungi. It is there and then gone. 

I find it so incredibly fascinating.

Fungi, lichen, moss, all those little things in the woods that keep things interesting.


2 comments:

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.