Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Wild Wild World

Heh. Not the internet either. Outside is the wild world.


First two photos that I actually did take a week ago while I was out looking for cool lichen or moss and checking for the first sign of a wildflower.



Next are some shots from my very old trail cam. It still works but only shoots in black and white. The night shots are not super clear. Oh and the AM and PM were switched. I had forgotten to set it properly after replacing the dead batteries.




Our resident Bobcat. I've seen this or one like it on and off for more than a year and only glimpse crappy shots of it moving through camera range. When I posted a photo of it on FB I was sent messages of alarm from well meaning friends. 

Despite their reputation, they rarely will eat pets. The trail cam shows many rabbits, raccoon, squirrels, and birds that are in this area. I mean this spot in my woods is the virtual highway of wildlife.

The deer love to take naps here as well as play.


And then there were these guys/gals walking on through.
[Funny shots I did not include are the shot of a doe doing her peeing in front of the camera. Then later on? A coyote smelling it and marking the same spot! Pee Mail anyone?]





This last wild beast is Charlie.
No wonder his nose is working overtime when we walk through the woods!


On the other side of the Buckthorn Forest I set up a newer camera thinking I'd see the deer as they came in from the large meadow. I was surprised!




Here are the Tom Turkeys that I photographed last week fighting and probably the same ones that we saw in the back woods while I was riding Sunshine.

Now...If I can move my camera to a likely spot where the resident bear may wander through if he/she is still around.

Bobcat last June



5 comments:

  1. It is fun catching wildlife on trail cam's! I just checked ours over the weekend, pretty boring. The thing new was a couple repeat feral cats. Otherwise, the usual deer, coyote's and bunnies. Lotsa bunnies. One pic with turkey. A few possum shots, no skunk pics this time. I would be worried about having a bobcat lurking around. I have seen reports of equine being attacked by them (maybe even killing? don't recall) in nearby WI counties. Just like with coyotes, there seem to be opposing thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I am not too concerned as this bobcat or others have been around for more than a year. I have a shot of one also on my neighbor's land two winters ago. So far no issues and only sightings have been on trail cams.
      I think there is plenty of food for them out here as to not bother larger critters.
      Our mules also are aggressive protectors of their pastures. I've seen them kill a raccoon and unfortunately a fawn one year.
      My big concern of course is having Charlie get munched on by a predator. He has no clue he shouldn't chase creatures bigger than himself. :-O

      Delete
    2. Food supply makes a big difference, and who knows if the attacking bobcats/coyotes were sick.

      Delete
  2. Interesting Trail Cam footage. We had a deer walk by the window today I wonder if the trail cam got it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The camera is in a deep section of woods about a tenth of a mile from the house. So unless I am walking through there...there is no human traffic any where near it. I was surprised at how active this spot is.
      Some days, I have 100 shots of deer napping or playing!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.