Thursday, April 22, 2021

We need rain!

I walked down the valley today with Charlie and Sven. 

My hiking pals in the summer meadow. Sven is easy to hike with. He never gets far behind and basically is a pain in the butt if I squat down to look at something. He likes to pull on my hoody or nibble the back of my baseball cap.

He is sure I have dog treats in my hair.
[Yes, he loves tiny little dog biscuits. A way to a goat's heart is through his tummy.]

His coat looks pretty rough because I used scissors the other day to cut out the burdocks he had stuck in his coat. He looks better once he sheds out.


Charlie and Sven have been best pals since Sven was born. Sven turned two years old in February and is achieving full size now. He is a La Mancha goat that was orphaned at birth.
Here is Sven at my neighbor's house when he was two weeks old:


Sven always cries out when he sees Charlie and I heading into the woods. He is a pain if I am working on fencing. If I set a tool down, he'll pick it up.
However, he is really nice to have along while hiking. He continuously checks in with me. Oddly enough he never wanders away.


But...he has no sense of Personal Space! 


The moss I'd photographed 3 weeks ago was turning brown. Brown enough that at first I didn't understand what I was seeing. Brown moss? I took a few shots of it so I could record it in my Naturalist Book. April 21st ~ moss going dormant from lack of moisture.



The skunk cabbage 20 feet from the creek was brown and the leaves stunted. Was this from the cold snap or the lack of rain? Questions I don't know if I can figure out. Perhaps it is a combination of both things.

The skunk cabbage was doing well in the Big Spring. But the water was notably lower in the spring than it had been weeks ago. The vibrant green moss on the logs was dry in places.

The marsh marigold was sparse. 



Our meadow pasture is dry and the grass is not coming like it normally does. 

I should just fence off the yard which for some reason is looking lush and long in places.

Then I remind myself that this is April still and that normally things are still brown and fairly dreary. Those warm days confused the trees and the plants. 

I looked back on past years and see that the pastures really don't get going until May so I remind myself to be patient and hope for some nice easy rainfalls.

Charlie and I are going on an adventure today. It is time to take the Subaru in for some work at the dealer. They welcome dogs at the dealership and even have a little dog park for pets. It is not unusual to find customers with their pets in the waiting room or walking with their pets to look at new 'Rus on the display floor.

Last time we were there together, one of the sales people let Charlie onto the sales floor from the dog park. I didn't have him on leash. Before I could grab him, Charlie followed the salesperson into a room where they were closing a deal.

The buyers asked Charlie if he liked Subarus. Charlie gave his opinion by squirming and looking cute.

I think everyone at the dealership also carries dog treats in their pockets!


3 comments:

  1. Seems Charlie loves people as much as people love him. Looking forward to meeting the charismatic little guy. Cute how Sven goes walking with you, even if he is a pain at times. I feel the same way about walking with our cat Leo, who is going to trip me one of these days. After rescuing him, Sven probably thinks you are his Maahaaaa. That is suppose to sound like a goat *^* Do all La Mancha goats have tiny ears? We do need rain. I looked for wildflowers on our property today and found none. I checked my pics, and in previous years they didn't start blooming until May. So there is hope. Brad keeps reminding me it is still early.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes La Manchas have tiny ears, that is a breed characteristic of theirs. He does think I am his Ma since I had to pull in from his mother who was not in good shape. I 'birthed' him and then bottle fed him with the neighbors. So they gave him to me. His mom died overnight, she had never been a real healthy goat.
      The wildflowers do need some rain and warm temps so Brad is right, same as what my hubby said. The warm weather did bring many flowers up early.
      Looking forward to Trillium, Jacobs Ladder, and Bellwort!
      Patience while waiting is not my thing .. :)

      Delete
  2. Gotta love goats and their bonds with people and dogs:) Dry here too we got a little rain last night probably not much as it left no puddles. I brought my rain gauges in so they wouldn't freeze!
    WE have no flowers yet:(

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.