Monday, April 05, 2021

Quiet Weekend

 


There is the Wild Man in the skid steer.

I mentioned that I wanted to pull some multiflora rose bushes with the 4 wheeler, or chop them down and maybe then pull them out afterwards.

Rich thought he'd just grub them out with the skid steer. Oh and boy he did. He made a mess and tore things up like mad. But I just smiled because he felt good enough to operate his skid steer for a bit. 
He wanted to get down into the trees and muck around, but his fuel ran low so...whew. He had to go park it.

I'm so glad we don't own a bulldozer.

Sunday morning, my temp thingy on my smarty pants phone said it was 47 degrees out. I grabbed a heavy sweatshirt and Charlie and we headed out to watch the sun come up over the Merry Meadow. Brrrr. How did I think PJ pants and a sweatshirt with chore boots were going to be warm?

But the colors in the sky were interesting so I walked back towards the meadow.
It was worth it...

I heard some thumping that was strange and a bit weird sounding. I couldn't think of anything in the woods that would cause that. And to my surprise I counted 6 Tom Turkeys beating the hell out of each other.

They were literally running at each other and bumping chests then grabbing for each other's throats.
And...they were not uttering a sound. No gobbles, nothing. Just running at each other and wham!

This is one of those times I wished I owned a seriously Big Assed Lens. You know one of those telephoto lens that could take me right up to the Tom Turkey's faces. Alas.
I'd love to own one but probably wouldn't carry it on just a morning walk. This was my 14mm-150mm Olympus lens. It did a fair job with the low light. I took about a dozen shots and this one was the better of them.
One Tom in the left side was strutting after his battle, two are locked in a death grip and a loser is ducking under the line fence.


The fence? It has been that way for 30 years, this portion belongs to my neighbor to maintain. Yeah, it will stay that way for another 30 years. There is a hot wire to keep my critters off it.

I spent Sunday afternoon sitting on the porch with Rich and Charlie. We enjoyed the warm temps, no bugs, and sunshine. 

The veggie garden is a mess and I have to start working on that. I need to plan out some flowers for the east side of the house. My mental list of To Do's is long. 

I registered with the Wisconsin Vaccination Site and already received an appointment. 
Here's to the mini happy dance.


This guy is on one of the trees over by my shady rock place. I'm hoping to transfer some fern plants when they come up along with some other natural plants that grow in the woods. 
At least for now, the tiny Buckthorn trees are gone and I have a quiet spot for some afternoon reading if I want to get a stone's throw from the house yet feel like I am in a private place.




7 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:20 AM

    So happy that you got an appointment. :) It is really something to see the male turkeys in the spring. I love that tree face. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice for both of you that Rich was outside enjoying the wonderful weather and getting into a project. Had to chuckle on your bulldozer comment. Beautiful sunrise photo. Crazy turkeys! I've heard of the Tom's behavior, but never seen it in person. Surprisingly. We have lots of them roaming around off/on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, anywhere there is farm land there will be turkeys! I recall one time riding Badger and he got pecked by a hen that was nesting in May! That was the only time I nearly had a bad wreck. Badger went up, the turkey flew up and I landed on Badger's neck. He stood stock still and I slid off him.
      We have almost too many wandering around. But I am entertained by them when they trot in a group through the pasture and the mules chase them or watch them as if they were alien life forms.

      Delete
  3. So glad you have an appointment for a shot. Men and machinery...it was great that he enjoyed some time outside!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl got me a X4 lens for my phone.. It kind of works. But not as the commercial that sold me the idea of things. They focus all the way to the MOON! and show you the craters. This little lens... does not do that. In fact, I wanted to take it out to capture Eagles bu the river this winter, But the Eagles are all but gone now. I'm sure I could stake out a few of the local nesters, but in the mean time, I will have to focus on the Turkey Vultures! ( I love the Turkey Vultures... but they are not as elusive as the Eagles...so I don't need a big lens for them. Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only once got a sort of close up of a Turkey Vulture! They are such interesting birds. I hope you can get some shots of them. I loved watching them at the coal plant when they would sit on the coal pile in a large group and sun themselves.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.