Wednesday, April 28, 2021

What is your dream?

I've been thinking about this for a while. I had all sorts of visions years ago while I was still working about what I wanted to do when I retired or semi retired. The thought was I'd work part time for quite a while. It suited me.

I was going to travel around our state and camp/stay in motels and have a photographic adventure of all the cool waterfalls and neat state parks. I was going to be able to wander aimlessly about. After that, I would look into some of the longer trips. Grand Canyon, Yosemite, the Bad Lands, and lesser known areas. I'd go back to the Big Island and be able visit areas I wanted to ... and take my time taking it all in.

Well. Then 2015 happened. That led to a different path. By 2017 I had to stay home from work and become a CareGiver. I'm not officially recognized as a full caregiver by the VA, but I am told by them that I am one. Confused? Nah, don't be. 

I'd gotten a message the other day asking if I'd like to see my grand kids this summer if it could be arranged. If it all worked out, they'd be staying with my ex husband and his wife for a week. The drive to go see them would be a rather long one. My eldest son pointed out that I could sleep in the Subaru and I laughed. Indeed I could.

So of course I started 'dreaming' again about how fun it would be to take off on a trip. 

I haven't been on a trip in 11 years. But who is counting? I love travelling. I haven't taken a trip for any length of time since 2017 when Morris and I took a road trip three weeks later Rich had a stroke.
I did go for a quick visit in 2019 to see my eldest son's house. It was a whirlwind trip. I went Friday afternoon and was back by Sunday morning.

The arrangements were complicated. I had to arrange for chores to be done and meals for Rich. 

A summer trip would be easier. The mules could be out on pasture and the meals could be prepped ahead of time.  I'd ask his daughter to stay but she has her own family and there is this whole vaccination, pandemic, thing going on. I know my neighbor would help but gosh, I sure hate imposing on her.

So I can dream about what I'd pack for a camping trip and where I'd go. How nice would it be for once not to have to be so responsible? 

Dream trips.
I am a gypsy at heart and the open road keeps whispering to me each time I get in the Subaru and go for groceries or to the feed store.

So I am going to go do some daydreaming now and have some coffee. That world awaits just at the end of my driveway.




6 comments:

  1. I would like to go someplace warm in the winter...the big island would work for me too! However we are tied down to the weekly infusions. So we make do! Today I have my brothers ranger and we will go for a long ride and look for spring flowers:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhhh! Yes, warm in the winter! I still like winter so far but I expect that will change. The Big Island...love it there. My father's ashes are there. I have such fond memories of being there in the summer as a kid.
      I'm so lucky to live in an area that I can explore. But that urge!

      Just dreamin'.

      Delete
  2. I have always been a dreamer, so mine are endless. I don't make lists to check off a "bucket list", or strategize on achieving them. I see related opportunities, work towards making those a reality and keep dreaming until they come true. Some do, some don't. Many stay in my mind, and time has passed for them to ever become a reality. I think if a person isn't dreaming, they are dying. Not to be harsh. Dreams don't have to be of a certain magnitude. It could be as simple as dreaming of a cream puff or as important as being able to walking, and of course there is travel. You will go on your in-person dream trips exploring in the future, you'll see. It is too bad Rich isn't comfortable with someone else checking in (not babysitting) once in a while. It would give you a break to be able to head out longer/further and live some of your closer dreams. Another blogger friend wrote about taking "virtual trips" via You Tube. Some are guided, some are not. Not nearly the same as in person, but a way to experience some traveling when a person can't. I don't know if they have them for parks or not, but what she shared was really cool. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they do have those trips.
      But I need to feel the air. I do plan on doing a night hike at KVR this summer to try and photo the Milky Way reflecting in the ponds and maybe a night sky shot by the Star Valley monument. I'd really love to sleep in a tent this year. I may take out that old tent and pitch it in the yard like I used to do with the grand kids.
      I too am a dreamer. My dad was a Dreamer!
      I pretend to go places and plan it in my head...does that sound weird? My son will say so. But I have a dream of cruising down the road with Charlie riding shotgun and just listening to music.
      My neighbor said she'd be happy to check in on Rich this summer if I get a chance to go see the grands.

      Delete
    2. I used to love tent camping, not anymore. I prefer glamping these days. I get it about the air. Planning trips in your head (snd imagining what it would be like) is not weird, at least not in my books. Absolutely pitch a tent on your property, go for a special spot. You can cruise down the road with Charlie, playing music. Do it on your way to KVR (or some other place).

      Delete
    3. :)
      I do that with Charlie now good loud music and he just stares at me then turns around and watches out the window or sleeps.
      I'll keep on dreaming.
      Ha ha! I had to look up glamping. It is what I thought it would be. Love that!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.