Thursday, April 01, 2021

Welcome April!

I've been a bit out of sorts lately. Let's go ahead and blame it on hours and hours of cutting down brush/Elderberry trees and piling brush. I even participated in a weak attack of a burdock patch. 

I don't know my limits sometimes. I think, just a bit more...just a bit more! Then there was the old tree that blew over on the line fence. Hand sawing and more fixing in the cold winds is hard on these gnarly old hands.

So I decided to NOT do any brush work for two days [it was too windy any way]. I read two books and did some hiking in the creek with Charlie. 

Our state just opened up vaccinations for all ages. That means I can sign up on Monday! There is an option for J&J locally here in town, I'm hoping to get it and be One and Done. 

I am all for still being socially distanced and using precautions. But with both of us vaccinated, I will feel a bit safer going to an open air gym this summer, hiking with more friends, and even visiting.  People who are not immediate family and don't get vaccinated or use any precautions will not stay with us in our house. 
I think I lost a friendship over that ruling. 

My thoughts on that? Well, they were the only folks that came and stayed anyway except for the occasional visit from my son. So not much will change.

I cannot impose my will on others. Oh wait, OF course I try to! That is human nature.

Found things yesterday.

Elfin cups:


Tree reflections at the fence line between my west neighbor and I.

Sleeping Dragon:


The dragon is in a spot I recently cleared. There is a small rock outcropping that I cleaned up last fall and pulled all the noxious weeds and buckthorn sprouts. I've seeded it to grass and plan on putting ferns and perhaps some wild ephemerals in the area. I'm going to try and make it my little 'get away' spot close to the house.

Cell phone shots of on top of the rocks and below the rocks. I used hay chaff to cover the grass seed.



The mules won't be able to get in here, I'm putting up a single hotwire to keep them out. 
This is very close to the house too. I'm going to get a few chunks of wood as stools so I can come out here and read in the summer. Well, that is the thought.
My deep shaded woodland experiment. 

Well there it is. Happy April 1st. 
I'm taking some long time friends who used to be neighbors on the Ma & Pa's hike today.

I am looking forward to it. I used to babysit her children. Now the oldest is taking driver's ED! 
Time flies.




6 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:35 PM

    You've been busy. I love the sleeping dragon get-away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sleeping dragon is a fav of mine. I left it there to remind me that it is a peaceful sanctuary.

      Delete
  2. I can't imagine a friend not respecting someones wishes, especially of their own home. Your house, your rules. Dare I say, not the kind a friend one needs. 'Nuff said. Great photos, especially with a sleeping dragon! Adorable, and I see a tortoise head lower right keeping the sleepy guy company. What a cool area!! Glad you found a place close to home for vaccination. Saw on the news this morning Pfizer vaccine gives immunity for 6 months (jaw drop) only 6 months?!! and now I am back on the other side of the fence. Good grief, this covid nightmare isn't going away anytime soon :( Anyways, truly hope you have a wonderful time hiking with your neighbor friends!! Beautiful day for a hike at KVR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose in 6 months things could change but having some immunity is a good thing as we pass through these times.
      If you didn't know it, there is a sign up for getting a vaccination notice in your area. vaccinate.Wi.gov
      I filled the form out and my county is not listed but I could go two counties over if notified. To me, it is important now with hubby being vaccinated that I do get one too. If I got sick, he'd have to be placed somewhere and that is not an option.
      Those folks have stopped most contact with me. However, as yesterday proved to me, I have local pals.
      Oh I love my little get away, if it all works out. There is a rock I should photo that looks like a skull!
      KVR was freaking awesome.

      Delete
  3. You have been busy! I agree with you no ones comes in our house either until they have a least one vaccination. Our daughter Jen had her second vaccination today.
    I hope it works out for you to get yours soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to be a hard ass, but I do like having hubby around most days! I our state has a sign up for interest in the vaccine, so I did it.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.