Tuesday, April 20, 2021

Smile with your Butt Cheeks

 



Excuse the photo. It was a quick snap.  Siera will get a roaching mid May, until then we go with the wild look.

I thought it would be fun to take Siera for a tiny spin on Sunday afternoon. Just around the yard and on the neighboring meadow and up the lane out back for a bit. I didn't bother with a saddle ~ But I DO wear my helmet. Siera is pretty easy going and since she is gaited, it is a very comfortable ride. Her prominent back bone though will get to you after a bit.

Siera is fairly 'herd' sour. She is sure she will die without her pals. She gets better after a bit and settles in. She will ride so far and then ask to turn around so she can see her buddies. It doesn't help that 15 screams bloody murder for about 10 minutes any time I take her out.

By about the third spring ride, I can usually just ride her up the drive or through the woods without much ado. With another mule though she is just fine.

We rode for about a half hour. Up and down and all around the farm. Finally she stopped offering to turn around and head back towards her pals. 

So I rode one last time out into the neighbor's meadow and tried to weave through the standing burdocks. As we returned home, I asked her to stand quietly and just stand. Standing still is the most important thing I ask my mules to do. She sighed and we stood.

I asked her to walk and we took several steps and when we met the patch of short grass...

Siera did a magnificent sideways 90 degree turn that came out of nowhere. I was amazed and surprised. So I turned her back and we stood again. 


Years ago I was offered some interesting advice regarding equine. I'd purchased Cheyanne from this crazy lady. She told me that Cheyanne would do stupid things and not to get angry over it. 

When a horse pisses you off, smile with your Butt Cheeks. 

That didn't make sense at first until I realized that getting angry when my animal didn't behave properly wouldn't improve my situation or my animal's situation. So when Siera lurched, I decided it was just a brain fart or an attack of killer grass. No sense in getting worked up about it.

I asked Siera for one more go around the field without any attacks from the Killer Grass. She did it, calm as a cucumber. Her mule brain started to function again and she was her old self.

I got to the Killer Grass and slid off her. I let her graze on the grass for a bit, then we walked back home where I let her in with her pals.

That ride must have been extremely difficult. 


She had to get down right away and erase all memory of me from her back.

Poor thing. She got up and walked over to another gate and sulked as if I'd tortured her. Her pal, 15 came up and sniffed her then walked away as it to say. "I have NO idea why I had to scream for you!"

Meanwhile the red heads came up for a grooming and some time in the yard too.


The grass seemed to no longer be a threat. In fact Sunshine decided it was just wonderful to graze on for a bit.


Smile with your Butt Cheeks. 

It always makes me laugh.



8 comments:

  1. Watching horses roll around is so fun. It looks like they are enjoying the feel of the Earth. Also... they look very silly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sage advice to remember and with a great saying, I like it!! You have a mule (?) named 15, cute and original. Glad you enjoyed such a lovely walk-a-bout.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a young horse Rich purchased at auction the day before he had his stroke. Uff. Grade small standard bred. I have no idea why he thought he bought her. She was named after the number on her butt.

      Delete
    2. No doubt there is a reason Fifteen came into your life. Maybe it just hasn't revealed itself yet. I truly hope Rich still interacts with the mules & horses in whatever capacity.

      Delete
    3. When I had Fred out in the yard last week I hollered for him to come out and talk with his old mule. He did. However he loves watching them while sitting at the table.

      Delete
  3. You had a great first spring ride! Good to hear you wear a helmet. I had a neighbor gal that I used to ride with all the time growing up...anyways she was riding her Mule on a trail ride...something happened and her head hit a rock and she died instantly. I always wonder what the outcome would have been if she had a helmet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started wearing one when I taught 4H Horseless Horse and Horse Project or should I say I was a leader. It saved my life once in a nasty buck a thon with my original horse.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.