Friday, April 02, 2021

Hike with Distancing

Teri used to be my neighbor. When they moved in and had their little boy, I babysat for them on my time off from being a Security Guard. Teri and I made a community veggie garden together and they helped out while I was running Rich back and forth for cancer treatments.

Teri's door was always open and I leaned on her often. I used to take her children on hikes with me and we foraged for food in the woods together. Don't get me wrong,....I love the neighbors I have now too! How could I be so lucky to get 12 yrs of fantastic young neighbors!

Her daughter is now 16 and driving. Imagine my surprise at seeing her driving Teri's Subaru. Kids. Stop getting older...it makes me feel older.


 Spring Beauties


Wintergreen with leftover
berries


Pine Moss
or Club Moss


Hepatica
found just above 
one of the ice caves.


Powder Lichen
growing on Moss


We found 100's
of Skunk Cabbage!


And of course a superhero. I always carry tiny toys and when the kids said..."Oh this would be a great spot for some toys!" 

I whipped out some toys and tossed them to the kids. The toys ended up in skunk cabbage, in moss, in a tiny iced waterfall ... and other places.


Here is a sample of what happens when we get a touch of rain and then have warm days and very cold nights that are in the teens.

January....


We had a blast and climbed around in the ice caves which are pretty much melted, but the kids are explorers.  We were surprised at the amount of spring beauties we saw coming up through the leaves. 
Indeed this route was going to become explosive with colors in a few weeks.

Everyone was very good about keeping their distance. One of us would find something and point to it, then back off for the other party to look at it.


Our hike was successful! We all enjoyed a long afternoon in the cold fresh air and made plans to hike again. Hopefully. Teri's schedule is busy.




3 comments:

  1. What a fun outing! AND you found flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't get much better than exploring with great friends, and finding oodles of forest treasures!! Love that the kids get excited about finding places to photograph your toys. They will remember hiking the KVR with you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh! The neighbor kid behind the apartment was just a grade schooler 11 years ago. Now he has a beard and a girlfriend! I'm not sure if he is out of highschool yet, but he looks the part. Time waits for no one. I'm afraid the 6 year old will age me even further if they stay in the apartment upstairs. He can be a handful of energy, but he has his moments... It's difficult to be a kid as an adult... Unless there is a child nearby. Then I can fly kites and blow bubbles and say it was the kid's idea. Good cover story.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.