Friday, March 12, 2021

Know where you are.

There was a story this week about how a woman had to be rescued at the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. She had gotten lost. 

Woman lost on Kickapoo Valley Reserve. 

She was found safely around midnight. The sheriff department used a drone to find her heat image that night and she was 'rescued' unharmed. 

I am not going to make fun of her experience. A good friend of mine last spring called me on her cell phone as she and her family had taken a wrong turn 'somewhere' on the Reserve and she felt lost. That worked out as her husband [ex marine] took them to a spot and went to get the vehicle on his own.

Here is look at the map.

and a closer view:
This area in close up, is probably THE most confusing part of the KVR.
I carry a paper map while hiking and I have my map marked up with mileage of each section of trail along with notations about tricky trail junctions.



Here is a satellite map of the area not all of it, but just enough to give you and idea of the contours, hills, and valleys.


I have many friends whose biggest fear is getting turned around in the KVR. I have ridden mules on the Reserve before it was the Reserve. Now I spend my time carefully plotting hikes to show my pal.

On my own two feet I have done all but 4 miles of the 50 miles of trails. There is some wonderful logic to use here. Hike with someone you know. If not, have a paper map AND a compass. Some junctions are tricky and it is easy to go west when you intend to go east if it is heavily overcast.
Don't leave the trail if you don't understand the lay of the land. However, walking the trail will eventually take you to a road. Listen for traffic. If you are quiet you can hear in which direction roads are.

Bill and I took a wrong turn last winter. Too much talking and not enough paying attention. We backtracked and were fine. So having Bill with me asking questions was my downfall. We didn't get lost but it sure was embarrassing to me.

I recently spoke with another friend of mine and she had asked if I'd show them around to the ice cave trails as she'd tried to figure it out but was afraid of getting lost with her kids. 
I am more than happy to, the KVR is no longer the mystery it used to be.

One more satellite view. The circled area I hike and live in. I've spent from 1996 to present walking/riding this area. The very first time I went on my own, I took my mule so in case I got turned around, he'd take me back home. Now I hike it daily up and down the hills and through the valleys. 

When I first moved here, I could not figure out my directions. 

I am hesitant to try places that I don't know. However I would love to get to know Governor Dodge State Park and Wyalusing much better. Unfortunately they are an hour drive one way. Too far for a quick hike. 

We are lucky in our county to also have Sidie Hollow, Esofea, Duck Egg, and Jersey Valley County Parks to hike/ride equine/bike/camp in.
Okay. I got way off track.

Be prepared. I always have a backpack with food, water, map, compass, emergency blanket--the space kind. A Firestarter, and a lighter. Of course a little first aid kit too. 

Last funny thought. 25 years ago two ladies came into the Chiropractor's office where I worked and told me a story how they'd gotten sort of lost on the Reserve. No cell phones at that time. The one lady said they'd been hunting morels and got off the beaten path. It got dark so she built a campfire and waited until morning when she could get her bearings and walk out.

That story stuck with me. Those women were totally calm about their experience. 

One of the signs at the trail heads at KVR is to notify hikers to not depend on their cell phones as the reception is spotty at best in the deep valleys.

I am very happy to learn that our Sheriff Department is able to launch a search with a drone that can read heat images. 

I hope to hike on Saturday on one of the less popular trails. This week has been full of appointments. I'm off to get my eyes examined in a bit.
Rich said I should have my "head" examined.

This photo is from Tuesday...our first crocuses!
And now to the weather...Sunday
snow/sleet/rain and yuck!
Gotta love March!






8 comments:

  1. I saw the rescue story on the news and thought of you, because it was KVR. The little bit I've experienced it would be easy to get lost if unfamiliar, and I haven't even gone to the inner areas. Over the years I've been to Governor Dodge a bunch, it is super well marked and easy to navigate. It is beautiful and one of my favs, but doesn't hold a candle to KVR (in my opinion). I've never been to Wyalusing. Wildcat is on my list. Everyone says it is better than KVR, but that is hard for me to imagine. With proximity, I would think it is more of the same awesomeness. Of the county parks you mentioned, I've only heard of Duck Egg. I think from my old WI horseback trail book. That is how I found KVR, from picking places to ride. Amazed at how prepared you are for hiking, very smart. I bought a park sticker this year in hopes of getting back out some exploring on foot and maybe even hoof. I can't believe you have crocus blooming already. Mine are just barely up, everything blooms so darn late here. I will leave you with one last thought, if you have clear skies the conditions are favorable for Northern Lights late tonight/very early tmr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Duck Egg has equine riding as well as KVR. The trails on Wildcat are a bit more exceptional in my book for equine riding. The trails are pretty awesome. I would like to hike the horse trails but don't recall if I can be on those trails while the horses are our there.
      For me with no trailer and lots of trails to ride right from home, I just haven't gone.

      I will say that KVR can be very intimidating. Wyalusing is one that you want to have a map for also!
      I rode Governor Dodge once but that is on my list to go visit by foot too.
      So many trails...so little time!
      IF you ever want to foot part our incredible trails I'd make sure you didn't get lost. Duck Egg hiking is pretty neat. Riding is awesome too.
      Spring hiking in KVR is beyond this world in beauty.

      Delete
    2. Hope you experienced the outer trail at Governor Dodge, it has a unique feature. I've only ridden the entire outer trail loop once, took us just over 5 hours at a walk. We usually opt for shorter rides, around 3 hrs. Makes for a long day otherwise when you factor in travel time. I absolutely want to meet you & experience KVR on foot!! I just don't want to impose on your limited time away from home. If Spring is special at KVR, let's make a plan sooner than later :) I use gmail. My first & last name with a dot between, all lower case.

      Delete
  2. I was "Lost" in the Alsakan Tundra during EIB (expert infantry Badge) Trials. I will swallow my pride and say "lost", but technically, I found my way out using the exact methods you mentioned. ( I listened for the Air Force Planes Landing at the Base, several miles away.) Eventually I ran across a road and was following it back to the Base when the Company picked me up and gave me a ride. I was the only one of 4 people who found their way out ( yes! 3 other guys got lost.... One needed a helecopter o find him!) I was never in any danger. Except maybe a million mosquitoes draining me before sunrise. ( Maybe a Billion! I never did count them all.) The shame really was that I was an "EXPERT" in land nav. And was fixing to pass that last task with ease. (night time land nav...You get three points. a distance and a direction. No flashlight!) I found my three points easy...with three hours to spare, I headed back to the OP sight, but ran into a large body of swamp water. Every time I boxed around it, I would find another body of water! The toughest part was admitting that I was lost and not going to get back before the time had expired. But the Moment I did, Everything clicked and I began thinking much clearer. I understand why she did not seem too phased by the ordeal. other than embarrassment, I'm sure she was not in too much danger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two older ladies that stayed the night on the reserve even before it was the reserve were old hands at woods life. They grew up in the area vs. the woman who just got lost and had come out for a day hike.
      Your adventure was something! I know Rich told me about being dropped off in a southern swamp during his prior training to Vietnam. They had to spend several days on their own and he flourished by eating bugs and other things. I just recall it was a cringe worth story.
      He has always been my human compass when we adventured, alas...no more.
      However, he has taught me so much!

      Amazing story! I'd love to hear more!

      Delete
  3. Yeah for a crocus! You could hire out as a trail guide! Good that you are prepared! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't take money for it, but I will guide friends as I have been doing. I did guide some strangers earlier this winter! It was fun and we stayed distanced.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous7:04 AM

    I grew up rural but was never comfortable in the woods and also depended on my human compass after marrying. I was always amazed at his sense of direction and his memory. Me, I prefer road signs and paved roads but can really appreciate the quiet of the woods.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.