Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Snow- Skulls- Paint





Yesterday was one of those totally yuck days. Overcast, cold, dreary, and snowy. I woke up with a killer headache and that sums up my morning after trudging through the weather to feed the critters.

Mules and horse hanging out in the woods.


I finally decided to disconnect and just listen to music which got me in the mood to mess around with two coyote skulls I'd prepared a while ago. All three skulls are in excellent shape and the 'yotes have most of their teeth. I let mother nature do most of the work and then cleaned the bones with hydrogen peroxide. To keep the bones from cracking and separating I use an Elmer's glue mix and apply it to the areas that will crack with age. 
With age the skull will crack and fall apart unless 'treated' properly.

I felt a 'creative' streak hit me after I got up from the headache. So I gathered some of my craft paints and started to work. I had no plan of what I was going to do. That is the way I do things. 

Once painted I seal them with Polycyrlic by Minwax. It cleans up with water. I can also coat them with some spray when the weather warms up a bit.


I'd heard of something called an Acrylic Pour and thought I'd try it.  I learned of another method later called HydroPainting for skulls which is really cool. I may try that when the weather warms up.





It takes about 24 hours or so to dry, but it was pretty neat looking. I like how it looks almost like a swirled marble! The coverage wasn't complete so I have to think about how I want to do the parts that didn't get covered. I even may just leave it as is and seal it.

The other two?


I've had an offer on the blue coyote skull and a message on the green drippy one already. I don't know if I want to sell them, there was a lot of work involved in getting those 'yote skulls. 

Uffdah. It is snowing and sleeting again. I guess I'll be doing some cleaning indoors again.

Another dull day? 
Maybe I'll bring in the little rocking chair from the porch and work on the doodle design for the seat.

Here is a doodle I did for the stairs landing because Rich still cannot decide what to put on it. I thought the plywood was rather ugly. 


Looks like I lean towards the blue green colors and variations. Hmmm. 


5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:04 PM

    It looks like fun creative day with a bonus of offers to buy your artwork. A compliment even if you decide they should stay in your gardens. The acrylic pour looks fun, I may have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll hang on to these for a while so I can enjoy them. The pour acrylic is a bit messy but it was fun. I just used a plastic lid from a grocery store container to catch the drips.
      Look up acrylic pours on YouTube, there is a lot of cool info!

      Delete
  2. Cool paint job! We had a skull from a cow of some sort, I never knew how to seal it...we lived in North Dakota and the neighbors dog used to come over and steal it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 3 cow skulls that I just used spray paint on. They were old and cracked when I found them.
      I have a Dexter cow with horns skull that is finally ready for me to work on this summer. I may just spray seal it and then Hydropaint it for fun.

      Delete
  3. That swirly green is cool!! Such big toofers. Good day to lay low and let your creative flow. Poetry in motion, lol! Hope it took your mind off your headache, and that it is gone.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.