Tuesday, March 09, 2021

One day in the Future

My son and I talk on Sundays. My oldest son, that is. This has become a ritual since March of last year. I think we started it the weekend of the 'lockdown'. He is able to work from home and has been practicing masking and social distancing. 

I can't fathom how difficult it must be for him as he is a very social creature. Yet he perseveres with caution. He has gone to limited workouts at his CrossFit gym and has a small 'bubble' of friends that he does things with. 

He is a constant source of common sense for me. He also likes to give me grief and joke with me. 

He pulls no punches. This year he asked what did I intend to do in the future when Rich was no longer here? Would it make sense to hang onto the farm and all that it entails as I creep towards 'older' age? Did I really want to maintain pastures, gardens, and plow out the driveway? Depend on the help of others?

What would happen when I couldn't drive anymore? Of course I laughed and said that I expected him to tell me when he thought that I'd reached that point. 

"Okay mom, I'm coming for the keys." He responded. 

Harrumph. 
But he had a point. No taxis are in this rural area. I couldn't be asking neighbors to take me shopping now could I? I know it was a huge pain to take half a day to drive my mother in law around and pull out her walker and act as her spotter when she got tipping one way or the other. Grocery shopping with her had to be done, but she insisted on doing it herself. It took over an hour just to get 15 items. Afterwards, she wanted to 'do' lunch. Eventually we'd make it back to her apartment and she'd collapse in her easy chair and direct me on putting her things away.

Next she'd ask me to do dishes and make her bed. Please don't think I am cruel, but I was chomping at the bit. Rich was my full time care partner. He needed me too. He'd just had recovered from cancer treatment, a stroke, and Pulmonary Emboli. 

I fell into the caregiving category because MIL's family were too busy, too far away, or whatever else they had for reasons.

Ed said to me. "Don't think I'll be driving out there once a week to check up on you mom." He then proposed a future.

Eventually sell the place and move back to his home town. Use the farm proceeds to purchase a condo near the lakefront. I actually liked that idea. There are bus routes and bike/walking trails all over. Uber is available for rides. If I couldn't drive [my father went blind with macular degeneration] I could still get around. Since I am familiar with the area, I know there are miles and miles of beautiful trails to explore. 

Not the forest though. It is not the forest. There is the big question. Give up my forest rambling? Hours by the creek? 
And yet, I could be free to travel if I wished provided I had no farm to hold me down. I could drive places and camp. Something that has always been on my list.

My son pointed out that at least I'd be in the same town as he was. And yes he could check on me easier. 

I'm grateful for Ed and his logical mind. Yes, I'd make the change, eventually. I love this house and it is nearly maintenance free. 

I also know that I am adaptable. I've lived in Skokie, Illinois. I've lived in Kenosha County. I've lived in apartments and crappy houses. I've lived all over and seemed to always adapt quickly.

I have to be realistic. There will be a day when I can't handle all of this on my own no matter how much I work out and stay healthy. 

Rich and I talked to Ed about this and Rich thinks it is a great idea. He doesn't want to see me alone in the world without family nearby. 

I saw first hand with my MIL, the true shortcomings of help in the rural area. No transport or limited transport. Helping Hands was always stretched thin. It was a struggle to get her extra help even with the county involved. 

I've been through this with my FIL, my MIL, and Rich. Without a person willing to do everything the elderly in our area are lost.

One of my neighbors gives up time each week to go to an elder's house to help them. Good people are out there. 

One day in the future I'll be shutting the porch door behind me permanently. That only makes every day here in the NOW more important.

6 comments:

  1. I think it is good to think about the possibility of what if? One day in the future I won't be able to shovel snow...and do all the upkeep. That time is coming sooner rather than later...we too will go to our daughters up North...no woods there either...and in town...but it will be necessary some day.
    Keep your options open...so nice you have a son that cares about you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am way beyond grateful that I can discuss important things with my level headed son. Let me state that I do love my younger son too.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous2:40 PM

    You make excellent points regarding aging in a rural area. Growing up in a close knit rural community was ideal combined with living in a semi rural community most of my adult life. But as you pointed out, reality hits. For me that hit hard when Hubby was diagnosed with cancer and forced to retire very early and most of the workload for maintaining the house and yard fell on me. I put into practice the stay strong and healthy thinking and managed for many years until I began to have health issues too and knew it was time to make that difficult decision. One factor Hubby and I discussed is the desire to make the move while we could still physically do the move. We also wanted time together in the new lifestyle, of course Covid put a hold on the new lifestyle. :) Being adaptable, resilient and positive will help create a very positive new lifestyle for you when that time comes. Excellent philosophy to enjoy each day we have. Stay strong and enjoy the woods. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. Most of this thinking came to a glaring realization when my MIL became frail and most of the work fell on my shoulders.
      Both of us realized this too as we were taking care of MIL's yard and house chores only a year or so after her husband had passed away.

      I am much more adaptable to living most anywhere more than hubby is.
      Until that time, I will continue to love and explore my surroundings! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. It is so nice to have kids that truly care and you can talk to realistically. When that day comes (and I truly hope it is not for a long long time!) you will always have your special photos and memories to take you back to your beloved woods. I have no clue what will happen to me/us/horses/land when we can no longer take care. It is rather unsettling, but I try to live in the moment and not dwell on the inevitable. My hubby refuses to talk about "it" he says we are going to live forever. Yea, right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband and I drew up Estate papers nearly 10 years ago just because we did want a provision for our mules and other animals at the time ... in case. It is NOT an easy conversation to have, however it was necessary as we both have kids from previous marriages.
      I loved the attorney who worked it up. She even made a clause that prevents anyone from disputing anything. If they do? They are out. Period.

      Thanks, my oldest son is very thoughtful and forward thinking.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.