Sunday, December 14, 2008

Wild Weather Ahead



We are supposed to get rain all day...then this afternoon the temps are supposed to rapidly drop and we are supposed to get 'some' snow.
Then the fun begins...winds.
Sustained winds with gusts up to 45mph.

The 'fun' in all this?
I have a midnight to 8AM shift, when they are predicting -25 and below wind chill factors. Yikes.
Okay, so I'll get to see how my 'storm' gear works!
And with those kinds of conditions, I don't think contractors will be coming in....so maybe just maybe I won't have to stand outside and sign them all in???

In reality...I still am enjoying my job immensely. I work with one fellow who writes academic book reviews and sometimes we get involved in some very interesting conversations.
I look forward to working with all of them actually so...yes I still like this job even if I am faced with some awful driving to get there!

Today's activities?
Make cookies and watch the weather...rest and prepare for tonight's duty...
;-)

This is a quote from the National Weather Service...hopefully they are a bit wrong...

A COLD FRONT WILL SWEEP ACROSS THE REGION LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND
EARLY THIS EVENING. COLD AIR WILL SURGE SOUTHWARD IN ITS WAKE...WITH
NORTHWEST WINDS BECOMING STRONG AND GUSTY. THIS COMBINATION OF WIND
AND COLD WILL PRODUCE DANGEROUSLY COLD WIND CHILLS...ESPECIALLY FOR
AREAS WEST OF THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER...AND OVER NORTHERN WISCONSIN.
IN THESE LOCATIONS...WIND CHILLS OF 20 TO 25 BELOW ZERO CAN BE
EXPECTED AFTER MIDNIGHT. A WIND CHILL ADVISORY IS IN EFFECT FOR
THESE LOCATIONS FROM MIDNIGHT THROUGH EARLY MONDAY AFTERNOON.

IN ADDITION TO THIS COLD...WATER ON THE ROADWAYS COULD QUICKLY
FREEZE INTO ICY PATCHES TONIGHT. MOTORISTS SHOULD BE ALERT TO THIS
POTENTIAL HAZARD IF TRAVELING TONIGHT.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.