Sunday, April 30, 2023

LaCrosse, Mississippi, and flooding

 


The above photo is from Riverside Park in LaCrosse WI. This little statue of the kids and the puppy waving to the boats on the river is something I always stop and admire when walking along here. This photo was taken in August of 2021 when I was getting new tires on my 'Ru.

There is a platform that goes right to the Mississippi's edge here below that statues.

Well not this week!

I shot this with the long lens because they had barricades up around the park. The 'Ru needed new brakes. Charlie and I went for a nice long walk while they were working on it.

People were going around the barricades to look at the water up close and personal...Not me!


After all that water had trees in it, and other gunk. It was swirling so hard that even the lone duck that was there had a hard time keeping afloat.


The bench I usually stop and sit at to people watch down in front of me? Well...


The damage isn't bad at the park at all, after all, the park is used to high water. However the neighborhoods near the river are/were getting their homes flooded. Below is a photo of Cass Street Bridge.


Those are river houses and boats out by Pettibone or Simmons Island. I have no idea how they stay in place.


This is a shot of the building at Pettibone Park across the way. I've never been here yet, but it is on my list of places to explore.


On my way back to the dealership with Charlie, I had to stop and read another funny saying on the sidewalk.  I don't know why these are in LaCrosse but they are! Silly sayings here and there!


It says:

The turtles in the trees
say please sing louder.
Swimming eagles eating cheese
curds and watch the sky for flying
cows driven by cats licking
ice cream. Ants line up at the libraries.

A child tells an adult.
The concrete beneath my feet
is alive with wild ideas
begging my shoes for a ride.

~Matt Cashion


I leave you with that to interpret any way you want. But I love this little ditty. It speaks volumes to me.
Don't ever lose sight of your imagination!

LaCrosse re did several sidewalks and embedded poetry and dance step instructions! What a fun way to celebrate walking through their city!

5 comments:

  1. Lacrosse is such a great city! Brad has several relatives that grew up and still live there (some in towns nearby). We will be heading there for a family function in July. There won't be time to explore. Too bad because the sights & parks are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's been flooding of the Mississippi up here and I get alerts often about the Crow River flooding. We are on top of a hill so we may get wind but we don't flood. I've heard about those writings on the sidewalks. I like this one and am not surprised you do, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that there was flooding along the Mississippi. What a great way to encourage people to walk and read at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Prayers to all those experiencing flooding. I love the writing on the sidewalk! That is really cool!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous7:23 PM

    Love that little ditty! Lori

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.