Saturday, April 01, 2023

1st of April are we fooled?


I think March can be as tough as November because we are in that in between stage where we are dealing with some rather drab colors in nature. 

And now we move to April which begins the real season of spring surprises.


But for now? I take the ugly parts of the day and do that never ending job of cleaning up what I didn't take care of in the fall.
I looked back on what I've done in the past few years in March and it is the same fight. Clean up burdock, Motherwort, pile, burn, rake up as many seeds from the sour dock and do the same. 
Hack down elderberry tree sprouts -- more come up from suckers... and generally clean areas up so I don't have equine full of burs when I can start rotating them.

One of the spots that I didn't work on last year proved to be extra nasty come this past fall.


If I had a herd of goats and proper fencing, I'd send them through here a few times a year and let them clean up the nasty weeds.
The Dexter cattle did a good job at that. But we had too many and we all know what overgrazing does to the land.

Charlie and I worked on this one little spot. Well, Charlie supervised, I worked.


I make small piles and wait for an early morning without wind then burn the small brush piles.
Just to the right of where this photo was taken the Buckthorn woods start. The only thing that will rid me of those nasty trees is a bulldozer, then forestry planting and a lot of work bringing the forest back to its glory days. 

This section is only about an acre or so, but it is on a steep hill.
Face it. It is wild.




I have one thought on it. If I were to invest in doing all of that, I'd never live to see the benefit. One more thing to leave to the next generation of owners after I am gone.

I have to admit defeat and let that area go. I am only one person who has no business operating heavy machinery or chainsaws. I don't have the time nor the energy. I feel like I am failing as a steward for my land.

I obsess about it each year. However, I've decided to fix fencing and enjoy my property and all it has to offer. 
I will pick my battles.
This year I have one less grazing animal. Three of our equine are over 25 years old. So it is mostly retirement time for them.

My neighbor is a forester and I am looking forward to a tour of our land with him [and his wife]. 

I'll keep trails open and mark the best places to gather eatable mushrooms, dig parsnip roots, pick berries, and enjoy the beauty of nature.

This is a mental battle I do each spring with good meaning and ideas.

As soon as the wildflowers start though, I feel good again.



Right now? It is snowing and coming down hard. 
Sven thinks it is just fine.


As daylight seeps into the grey morning here, I am putting on my coveralls and heading out to enjoy Mother Nature's Joke on us.

Last night over an inch of rain. This morning, heavy snowfall. Tomorrow? Looks like a beautiful day.

I'll take it!

4 comments:

  1. I think you are an admirable steward of your property. I appreciate you sharing this beautiful piece of earth with us through your photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also had rain yesterday and snow overnight. Where we live was once forestland, seemingly a softwood forest. We are forever battling those tree and find they are winning. You do the best you can and accept Mother Nature is stronger than us. Sven is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pick your battles. On some days I think I am just going to mow down the gardens and plant grass. When I was il I kept wondering why do I do it. But as you know you just stay at it and take out the worse and live with the rest. Yes we had snow this morning after a 74° F day yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sven is looking good! Yes a herd of goats would help you out. You can only do what you can do Val...like you said pick your battles:) Cannot even get into the woods here...well you could on snow shoes maybe:)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.