Thursday, April 13, 2023

Dirty Gerti and other things

 Mystery solved. Gertrude aka Gerti was a pup that Olive got. Gerti was an accidental breeding between a mini poodle and a mixed blue heeler. It happened on an Amish farm and since the farmer was breeding for other 'doodles' and had a hard time getting 'rid' of these pups according to the sources...

He proceeded to begin to 'shoot' the pups. A lady stepped in and got the crossbred dogs and began to find homes for them. This lady also had connections with Olive through work.

Olive's hubby said no. Olive said maybe. And then like any strong willed woman would do, Olive brought Gerti home with her. Gerti adores Olive's little boy and is amazingly gentle and sweet. 

Gerti and Charlie hit it off right away. Charlie did the butt sniffing inspection and after that, they trotted off while we hiked. Gerti followed Charlie most of the time.

Hello Gerti!



She has a blue heeler - ish saddle markings mixed in with her Poodle coat. 

She is adorable.

Olive was trying to explain why she needed Gerti and I said 'I get it.' Indeed, Gerti was exactly what the doctor ordered. Woman to woman...we understood exactly why Gerti was needed.



Gerti had no issues at all with playing in the creek or getting full of mud and sand.

Rich dubbed her as: Dirty Gerti

Gerti won't shed thanks to the mini poodle part of her. Olive and Gerti make a great loving team. I'm looking forward to many adventures with our two dogs.

The 11th was also hubby's birthday. As an extra special treat, I washed his skid steer which was really quite dirty and dusty!
I treated him to a culinary delight of strawberry shortcake, the Bisquick kind, along with Steak and Tators.


I also did some cleaning and reorganizing in one of the closets and rooms upstairs in prep for Ariel to come for a visit. I found Morris's old toys in a bag. I hadn't had the heart to toss them. 

And at first I thought Charlie would like to inherit them. 
Charlie has always been a tough on toys. 

If it has a squeaker and it is stuffed, the toy is usually torn apart in minutes.

One toy fell out of the bag and Charlie picked it up.  

He didn't mutilate it. Maybe now that he is 5 years old, he won't tear things apart like he used to?

Did you know that April 11th was also dubbed #happypetday by social media?

These eyes of innocence melt my heart:


Morris and some of his toys in 2011:


And now?

I'm caught up. This morning, I am sitting on the porch with a cup of decafe watching the sunrise color the sky by the old oak tree to the east.




6 comments:

  1. Gerti is an unusual dog, in a good way! I am sure Rich was very pleased by the clean machine and the great meal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all dogs that have poodle mix in them. It is an unusual looking dog but like his face. I am glad the birthday went off well. I have one for my wife on Saturday. Lots of planning and gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun time. Everyone loves a good Dirty, Muddy Wet dog. right? (Unless you have a white dress on...) The Sunrises have been wonderful these last few days in Wisconsin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday Rich!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday Rich!! Sounds like a perfect meal for his birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dirty Gerti lol. Rich has a good sense of humor. Nice that you made your hubby's bday so special. I am glad Olive got her pup to brighten her days, and yours too. Fun for Charlie to have another hiking buddy!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.