Friday, April 21, 2023

When getting the oil changed...and

tires rotated feels like a wonderful outing.

I like the place I go to for service on our Subaru. They are pretty nice even if it is a dealership. They have a doggy play yard, a kids' room with toys and a nice waiting area for those who decide to sit and wait for their Subarus to be serviced. There is a shuttle that will take you places in LaCrosse and pick you up if you wish.

I prefer to take Charlie on nice days were he can enjoy the doggy park and sniff out every other dog smell. He enjoys visiting with the staff who go overboard to welcome him. Other times, if the vehicle is going to take a long time, I walk half a mile to the Riverside Park in LaCrosse and enjoy the views along the Mississippi River. 
I love to walk through the International Friendship Garden and enjoy all of the wonderful plants they have growing there along with the little waterfalls and ponds. The Riverside Park is free as well as the gardens.

The drive into LaCrosse was horrible on Wednesday. I ran into a sleet storm which pelted the 'Ru and covered the road in melting ice. Three miles later I got into a huge downpour that ponded on the roads. I took my usual route into LaCrosse and found that the 4 lane road was now 2 lanes with half of the road dug up down to the sewer lines. Highway 35 through LaCrosse was getting a face lift in sections at a time. The pot holes in the construction area would shake your teeth and eyeballs out of your head.

While waiting I looked out the window at my dream Subaru and pretended the new shiny one was mine. I didn't bother going to look at it because I figured a salesperson would be right next to me in an instant. 
I took out a book and proceeded to get lost in a 'who dunnit' novel. When I finished the book, I stuck it in my backpack. The sun had come out and was shining with a promise of things to come.

The service person found me and let me know that the oil change/tire rotation was done and let me know that I needed new rear brakes. I knew that was coming and asked if we could just make another appointment next week for that.

When I left, I decided to take another way home to avoid all the downtown traffic and construction with car eating potholes.
I took  Highway 33 that went on top of the ridge by Grand Dad's bluff [mental note--stop next week to see it again!]. 33 serpentines along the top of the ridge with grand views of the LaCrosse  County Coulees. 

I listened to music and enjoyed the drive. The clouds were scuttling along the sky and promising more rain, but I was content. 
I felt I was able to breath in deep and chill.

Yes, even going for an oil change and tire rotation somehow feels like a mini vacation from home. I plead guilty to that. 


10 comments:

  1. I can understand it so well... a little tour in the car with good music, the road ahead with little traffic... my car is my home :-)))
    and then I sing along to the songs...
    hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice, sometimes I sing too ! Only when NO one else is in the car!
      My dog doesn't mind my singing, thank goodness!

      Delete
  2. LaCrosse is such a pretty area. No guilt in enjoying a scenic drive! Very cute that your dealership has a doggie area. The Honda and now Chevy dealership I went/go to are all about human amenities. For big & little people. I have seen people with dogs, but they stay in the waiting room with us humans. I could never take Tank. He is too big and energetic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Subaru is all about dogs and cars. In the service area they have dog cookies and behind them on the big screen they have Subaru-dog commercials. The ones with the yellow labs and other dogs doing road rallies and what not.
      Charlie is often invited into offices. But he is so tiny and cute that no one can resist him.

      The company donates $$ to different pet organizations to the tune of millions of dollars. However, I just like the car.

      Delete
  3. Well it had to be done and so you enjoyed your time away good for you! Hope the weather is better by next week. It was a bad winter for potholes:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The park I intend to walk to will be flooding from the Mississippi River which might be interesting to walk down and look at!

      Delete
  4. You had a pleasant day! I like those dog commercials, very clever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I need a laugh, I look at them!

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7:01 PM

    You sure know how to make the most of things! And your weather has been crazy..... Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always go check our the new cars while the oil change is taking place. In past years they didn't have new ones but all were used. I need to call for an appointment. I drink free coffee too.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.