Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Unplugged

My day started out with a pre dawn hike with Charlie to the ridge. I guess it really was just a walk as we weren't in much of a hurry. Charlie sniffed around and I walked across the crop land hoping for a colorful and blazing sunrise.

Well that didn't happen, but listening to the birds and watching the deer run across the unplowed land was just fine.

We went by the little tree and just watched for quite a while.



I was pretty grumpy and felt ornery and tired so I thought a walk would do me good. I wanted to cancel my gym class but decided to do it anyway. I had to get groceries in town, so I may as well suffer through a class.

I left my phone at home and was surprised at how I didn't miss it at all. No little dings letting me know that there was news, or email, or whatever.

CF put me in a good mood as did the sunshine. Between CF class and Mobility, I took off on a jog/run. Last week we had a run/jog WOD which I enjoyed immensely. I hadn't jogged in two years and I found my rhythm as if it had never left.

After lunch Charlie and I went looking for leeks in the woods and we found some above the creek. Yum! Looks like forest food is coming up! I picked some newly emerged nettles for tea and greens for supper.


Before heading back to the house, I sat on a mossy log and listened to the creek. In the past two years, it has been so dry here that this part of the creek was nearly dry and silent. I watched water bugs and listened to the creek music. 

10 second video of creek sounds and a woodpecker marking his/her territory.


Things are still without color mostly in the woods, but with this warm weather the plants will get a jump start.

Late afternoon I found my phone and discovered texts and emails. One was from our grand daughter Ariel. She is coming to visit us on her own, was that okay?

Another was from Olive. She wanted me to meet the new addition to her family. Gertrude or Gerti. She had Monday and Tuesday off, could we get together?

Being unplugged is nice, except when you miss something! I took care of the messages and brought the skid steer out of the shed and parked it next to the house running...

I told hubby that he needed to clean up the gravel pile that Frank had left and fill in the dip in the driveway as his granddaughter was coming to see him for his birthday. 



Wow! He got out! 
I'll be washing his skid steer today and making him strawberry shortcake for his birthday. I need to run to town to get Almond Milk for Ariel with a couple of other foods for her special diet needs.

I hope we get to meet Gerti too! Olive texted that she thought Gerti and Charlie would get along just great. So I am assuming she has a new dog!


Guess I'll plug back in.

At least I got rid of the Grumpies....

10 comments:

  1. Skid steer? Funny that Olive didn't specify!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I met Gerti and she is a beautiful 4 month old pup. Charlie has a new girlfriend!

      Delete
  2. Anonymous8:52 AM

    Gorgeous photos. So glad that your husband was game to work on the driveway....bet he enjoyed it. Strawberry shortcake would make me very happy on my birthday. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His daughter is making him something too and bringing it this weekend I guess! I can handle shortcake by Biquick, it isn't too hard!
      I was very happy he drove the skid steer!

      Delete
  3. You never fail to make me think, wait...what? Now she's jogging, the same day she went for a predawn hike and went to CF. Mama Mia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just call me a bit insane. I did take a short nap in the afternoon yesterday!

      Delete
  4. Getting a visit from a granddaughter & meeting a friend with a new hiking buddy would cheer one up for sure!! Along with all things nature, and physical activity. Both are sure cures for whatever ails you. Nice that you can still run. I truly miss running, it was my therapy.

    Happy Birthday to your Rich! He sure got a beautiful hot Summer day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ariel got delayed, but she is still going to visit.
      Gerti is adorablez and she and Charlie is infatuated.
      Today was a busy at home day.
      Now to make the birthday boy his special request for supper. Steak and tators with strawberry shortcake!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous9:04 PM

      Sounds perfect!!

      Delete
  5. I miss being able to eat short cake. It made me smile to see him out moving gravel around. Great therapy in many ways.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.