Friday, April 07, 2023

Discovery and Explore

 


Hobby wanted a tripod, but she rummaged through the leftovers of Lego pieces and found a Chandelier top which she converted into a Quadpod.

She isn't sure how it will all work out, but for now, she is pleased. She thought she'd also try her hand at Infrared Photography, she was very surprised at how the Skunk Cabbage appeared white!

Skunk Cabbage Patch Below:


Below: Skunk Cabbage Spadix [center bumpy thing], the hooded Spathe is gone from being stepped on by wildlife.
The plants huge leaves will soon appear.


The Big Spring is located about a half mile or so from our house. The hike to get there isn't too bad, as long as you stick to the valley. The spring comes up from the ground and is probably the warmest spot in the valley. Most of the early plants can be found here.

I found the first Cowslip or Marsh Marigold yesterday. The spring is dotted with them, I imagine with the warm weather this weekend, more flowers will open.


Charlie in the Big Spring shot in IR.
The blue colored lumps
are moss covered rocks.





In contrast the rock wall has ice on it. The sun only shines on this section of the valley when their are no leaves on the trees. The rock holds onto the cold. This little pond is a great place to cool off on a hot summer day.

It is only about knee deep but the water stays at 45 degrees F most of the summer.


Just above the wall with ice on it...I found fern curls emerging from the detritus.



Charlie sits and waits for me to make through the tangle of dead trees. He knows exactly where we are going now that he has been hiking this route for 5 years.


Come mid June, we won't be able to hike much further than this spot as the plants and weeds will be waist high and we won't be able to see our footing unless the deer and other wildlife make a trail along here.

In another few weeks though, I can come down and dig up fresh wild parsnip to take home and eat.

Today we should get off to KVR to hike the Jug Creek Trail. I want to get up on the rock formations while I can still see through the trees.




6 comments:

  1. Beautiful Marsh Marigold shot! I planted some in our old pond but they never took. Cool how you created a lego photo pod!! Our warm upcoming weather is going to send every Spring thing into fast forward motion. Wish Spring would unfold slowly, but Ma Nature has other plans. Have fun 'sploring KVR!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have only found them in about 2 spots on my neighbor's land and they seem to be picky about where they grow.

      I found a tripod for the snow storm troopers' machine blaster, I could use that, but this was cooler!

      Delete
  2. Quad pod! Yes, it is cooler. I never stopped being surprised by your surroundings. I might have taken an interest in hiking if I had that at my doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the landscape is really quite unique. I read about it in a book called The Land Remembers and then two years later I ended up riding in an area just like the book described.
      I found out later that it was indeed the same landscape that was described in the book by Ben Logan.
      I did get to meet Ben Logan too after living here for a few years.

      Delete
  3. Marsh Marigolds already good for you! Charlie has been hiking five years...I remember when you brought him home:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I keep telling myself how lucky I was to find him!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.