Sunday, April 23, 2023

To the Big Spring and Back

 


Friday's first order of business was to clear out some Iris plants and make sure the Mini Split that will be installed later is not crowded out by flowers and leaves.

These I'll take up to Olive's house. I think it will be the third time I've split up Iris plants and spread them out to other folks.

The morning was cold but there was sunshine. I jetted out the door with Charlie at 10AM to enjoy the morning sunlight. The winds were howling on the ridge so we headed down to the valley and followed the creek.

I wanted to see if any more Marshmarigolds had opened up. The only place I knew that they grew in all of the 600+ acres of woods was this one large warm spring.

I did find Virginia Beauties with their flowers still closed tight, but they had sprung back up after the heavy snow.


It is a 20 minute hike to the Big Springs if you hurry. There is no trail other than places where deer and other forest creatures have gone. Sometimes we just walk in the stream. I was pleased to see the bright yellow of the Cowslips when I came around to the spring.

There weren't as many of them as I was hoping for. I suppose that is due to the cold temps after the heat wave. Nights are near freezing and days have been chilly. Most of the time the moisture comes in a mix of sleet and rain.
But for the morning we had sunshine and we took advantage of it.



You know I had to bring something fun
along.
A Dinosaur !


This little character is Grogu
from the Mandalorian series.



We headed back towards home as I promised to make a nice lunch of some sort. I couldn't help but stop and take a shot of how the Skunk Cabbage had changed.
They were opening their large leaves.


Maypoles were appearing in inconspicuous places. Once the leaves open and spread out they are obvious.


By the time we got back to where I first spotted the Virginia Pinks, they had opened their petals to the sunlight.


Charlie was so patient with me. He has become such a great Photography Assistant. 



The photo that pleased me the most on our quest for Marshmarigolds? This one, with the sparkles coming off the spring's water. Everything worked out just right on this shot.


As soon as we got home, the clouds moved in and it alternated once again with sleety snowy rain and bone chilling temperatures.

I sure hope Spring eventually comes.

I spent all day Saturday fencing in more snow, sleet, and bursts of sunshine. But I have a new pen up for Lil' Richard to enjoy. 


13 comments:

  1. Cowslips!!! A sure sign of Spring! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you get a Spring Season instead of Snow to Summer!

      Delete
  2. This looks like a fun and pretty walk. Charlie is so dang cute! Spring for me is mud season, then it's suddenly hot. Ah, well....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your Teddy bears! I should go look for our marsh marigolds. We have one location, on 16 acres!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Love love Teddy Bears! They are just harder to carry into the woods for photos.
      My neighbors to the east have over 600 acres of forest with two streams running through it. We have a lot of forest on our other sides too. I'm very lucky.

      Delete
  4. Pretty Spring finds & pics! Those Maypoles sure look interesting.

    You are fortunate to have a patient dog. Tank just barks at me when I stop for a photo opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We always called them Maypoles, I think the correct name is Mayflowers or Mayapples?
      Tank may one day figure out that it is okay to wait. Most of the time Charlie whines, but he hasn't done that this spring. Perhaps it is because he is older now?

      Delete
  5. Anonymous7:22 PM

    You are the energy bunny. I'll bet Lil' Richard is going to like having a fenced in area....so will his buddy. You sure have some serious weather at your place! Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is loving his new area. When the ground settles he'll be back to clearing up other spots for me too.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful pictures. I always click to enlarge them to see what little 'addition" you made to them. ( baby yoda)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that little Grogu! He is such a character. Of course I am a fan of Mandalorian also.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.