Wednesday, September 21, 2022

These times...

 


On Monday we had our updated Covid-19 boosters. And other than a slight ache at the injection sight we've had no ill side effects. That was actually a pretty nice surprise.

Tuesday was my 'hike or ride with Olive' day. Olive had texted me Monday evening to let me know she had found the Mother Lode of cool fungi in a forest that her husband's family owns. We decided to go at 10 AM because the heat on Tuesday afternoon was to be fierce.

She had found the Mother Lode!

Shrimp of the Woods was everywhere! She picked, and I photographed. We poured out gobs of sweat and hiked ...and brush busted through the woods getting full of stick tights and all sorts of nasty little burrs. We laughed and exclaimed how fun it was to find someone else as adventurous as we two were.

Apparently her husband is not into diving through the underbrush just to find dried up old mushrooms and exclaim OHHH! AHHH! Or to grab fungi from the dirt and marvel at their beauty. [However, he will eat what she cooks!]



I learned that Olive was indeed the adventurous type. After college, she took a year and went to New Zealand to hike a 2,000 mile trail. She said it was an epic adventure and she learned by trial and error about back packing. She learned about blisters, heat rash, and dealing with forces of nature.

I told her I was jealous, but admired her.


The arrow points to some oyster mushrooms she had 'seeded' with a slurry from other oyster mushrooms she'd picked. It worked!





We hiked and explored for about 2 hours before we hopped back into her beat up Subaru and headed home. We traveled both times with the windows down as her A/C hadn't worked since she'd beat up her car when she did a short stint as a Rural Postal Carrier. 

I'd taken a lot of photos and we'd covered a lot of ground. 

We both thought it would be fun to come back after the snow fell and snowshoe through the woods.

She dropped me off.

Two hours later she texted me with an urgent message. Her parents had Covid they'd been at their house on Saturday. She had been exposed but presented with no symptoms.

Well now. 

I'm wearing a mask in the house and doing all I can to keep separate from hubby.

This morning I received an update. Olive had to take her son to the ER last night and he tested negative, but has a full blown ear infection, teething, and a cold.

Her husband is negative too. So now we just wait and see while still practicing all the cautions I can...

Ever drink coffee with a straw? 

Interesting.



8 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:12 PM

    So glad you have a hiking, exploring buddy! As for Covid. You are not alone. A week ago Monday one of the people I play bridge with, called the next day to say her husband was positive. She was the following day, so I spent the next week worrying about it. So far so good. I think this is just going to keep happening. Hope you don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it will happen over and over. So far so good. I'm glad I generally do things outdoors with others.

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh. I have had two thrice vaccinated family members test positive. One is sure he got it in his doctors waiting room. He was there for a company physical and some woman was pulling down her mask to cough. We are on a waiting list for the new one at our health department

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well the vaccine won't stop the infection, but hopefully it will dull it so it isn't so bad.
      I would like to avoid giving it to hubby as he has compromised health.

      Delete
  3. Hope you will be okay! My guess is that you won't get it. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may be right...hopefully! I have company arriving in the middle of next week too!

      Delete
  4. That was an unpleasant end to a fabulous day. You are in a tough situation with a vulnerable person in the house. As far as hiking, I will be your friend waiting for you to return with martinis or wine and a hors d'oeuvres platter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tested negative this morning and I feel fine, I had a terrible headache yesterday and stomach upset for a bit. But seems that all that 'air' between us helped?
      The headache and tummy stuff may have been from the booster. All is good.
      She is still testing positive but feels better.
      I feel like I dodged the bullet one more time....

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.