Friday, September 16, 2022

I love my Red Headed Mule

I didn't really think about it much, but Sunshine and I have had a pretty long history  together. She was born in my lap literally and I have posted about this before.

I was disappointed that she was never going to be more than 14 hands or that she was just red. After she was weaned we put her up for sale. There were never any takers for this smart not quite 14 hand mule. I started her under saddle when she was two and then let her be a mule for 2 years before we really started any work.

I did the ground work and the round pen work, hubby did the in saddle work. Together we worked with her trying to make her into a Grand Kid Mule. She was too quick however for a novice rider and so we scrapped that idea. We decided to keep her and then the offers rolled in from places we used to ride her.

Like Badger, she ended up showing us an unusually smart mind. She learned to give to the snaffle we started her in. 

Ever heard of a one rein stop? It is supposed to work.

Not with this gal. I did a couple of wild rides when she was young when something odd happened and she took off in a beeline. Did you know a mule can canter with her nose at your knee?

I swapped over to a Mule Trammel bit and set her up for a run off. She bolted 3 steps and I lifted the reins for the trammel to bump her nose. I've stuck with that set up from then on. We've never ever had another run away.

Surprisingly. This mule had NEVER bucked me off. My soul mate mule, Badger, had bucked me off several times. 

So that bit of info registered this week as Sunshine and I were getting ready to head out to do an old gnarly trail in the woods.

At first there was some Spa Work. [Now you know why I am anxious to have the pasture clipped! Burdock!]



Then I put on her saddle which was a handmade saddle for mules. The seat is contoured for my butt!
[Pardon the dirty trailer, I had hired Molly to wash it for me. Yeah. That didn't happen, but I DO need to get around to washing the lichen and moldy stuff off the shaded side.]


The Bell around her neck keeps us from walking up on any bedded deer in the forest.

The shot below was taken when I got off to check her cinch before heading down a tippy toe hill. Steep is an understatement. She never bats an eye at this but just takes her time and deals with it.


We live in a land of dry runs and ravines. The photo below is from about 10 years ago, just before we crossed this dry run. I generally let her pick her own way as she is so calm and calculating about things like this.


Annnny wayyy....

This mule recalled the old cattle trails we used to ride. When I couldn't find the trail that Charlie and I hike the day before, she just helped me out. I knew if I let her have her 'head', she would locate the way we should go.

I've ridden this mule in this forest for 20 years [well, not much in the last year or so because of one thing or another...and because I'd been diagnosed with severe osteoporosis, I figured I'd have to quit riding. -> Nah..., I love it too much and I have two excellent mounts]


I picked this section of the forest because the undergrowth is a bit less than the other areas that are covered in multiflora rose and other nasties.

Sunshine took some time looking around and we watched a buck in velvet bounce away. 

Don't mind her messy mane. I may clip it again or not, I don't like the mane to be too short when cold weather comes our way.


I was surprised by a Gaggle or Herd of Turkeys that ran through the trees beyond this photo. She sighed as if to let me know...

SHE knew they were already there. DUH.

So, I didn't take a lot of photos while we were riding because I was concentrating on just enjoying the moments with my little red head that no one wanted until we kept her.

She is in her 24th year with me. When I did the mental math, I realized that she has been with me longer than her half brother Badger. And that she is one of the main reasons I feel comfortable riding again.

When we got back out to the ridge road, I dismounted and walked with her back home. I didn't want our time to end.

In fact, I sat in the yard later with her and had a long conversation with her.


She may be a bit small in stature, but she is huge in personality and temperament. She is without a doubt, smarter than I am in so many ways. She has a great homing beacon built in. 

She knows how to keep calm and navigate difficult terrain without any missteps. 

And?

We adore each other.

She has never been to a show, but she has done KVR, Prairie du Chein, Duck Egg, and Wildcat Mountain trails. However since hubby doesn't drive anymore and the truck is dead. We enjoy what we can in the neighbor's wild woods and hay fields.

I rarely have any folks to ride with. But she and Siera seem to be good at taking care of me.

And we seem connected in some way. 

Sunshine takes care of me. 

And how could you not love that?



4 comments:

  1. Aren't you elated you kept her! You cannot put a price on calm and steady, there's nothing better to recommend a trail horse/mule. Period. It's a blessing you can still ride and you have them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:32 PM

    You and Sunshine. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How wonderful that you still have her and that you can enjoy a day out together! Steady as she goes! She will get you back home again safely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The best of days. I need me a mount as smart, steady and quiet.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.