Saturday, September 24, 2022

Tails


 If your animals go into the wild woods, they get into burrs. I don't have a nice flat pasture that we can mow. In the wooded section there are numerous logs, huge rocks, rock outcroppings, and steep hillsides. Each year I try to work on chopping down or digging up the burdock.

This year I failed. And now I am suffering those consequences.

However, IF I can get someone to clip/brush hog the flat areas, I might be ahead of this next year.

I started on tails at 11:30.

The above shot is Sunshine's tail.





I cleaned it and braided it. Later I decided to just do the right thing and give it a trim. I love long tails like everyone else. However, these long tails get in mud and muck and snow and ice. After one ice storm a few years ago, the mules had iced tails. Those with long tails made clicking sounds as they walked. 

The tails grow back and less maintenance might be better!


I actually think her tail looks prettier trimmed! Less burrs to gather when we ride through the forest too.

Siera had the nicest tail of all. Here it is finished. I had a real hard time cutting it shorter. She is not a mule to get down into the brush and explore like the others so her tail is usually not too bad.



It was still long after I cut off about 6 inches! I may leave it for now.

Check out Sunshine's sister's tail. Typical of this mule who has NO fear and explores everywhere.


She did this in one week. 

I purchase cheap hair conditioner and use mineral oil and a spritz of ShoSheen on the burrs and tail. I rub it in and let it soak in. I have to keep applying as I work towards the center of the tail.

To this, with a trim.

I also had to trim her mane, it was plum full of handfuls of burrs. I asked her where in the heck she has been going to find all these burrs. 
She snorted and said it was her secret!

Everyone was done and I promise NOT to let a whole week go by without cleaning tails again.

All mules spent some time with me in the yard grazing.
Here is Fred. He is 37 years old, nearly 38.
He still has a lot of energy which is improved with soaked alfalfa pellets and Senior Feed. After all, I don't think he has much in the way of teeth left. 


The leftovers.


I finished after 4 pm after taking off an hour for lunch. 

It was worth it. 
Each mule was patient and quiet, just like they have been taught. In a way, I didn't mind it at all because I was able to spend time with them.

Just being with them is good for my inner self.

I hope their tails don't get too messy. I'm looking forward to some riding later this week. That is, IF I have time.

My nephew and his new wife are coming to visit on Wednesday!


6 comments:

  1. Wow, you got this down! They have lovely, thick tails

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, enjoy the visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:05 AM

    Worth it for sure! All my mowing pays off in this department.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could mow certain places but yeah, it would. :)

      Delete
  4. What a mess to deal with. I was a kid at the farm when we walked the cornfields to destroy that weed. It would be so bad in the corn picker and it would spread them when the picker passed through.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a big job! I know you hate Burdock like I hate Poison ivy. Good that they stood still and I bet they felt better too:)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.