Friday, September 30, 2022

Hoot Owl Trail at KVR

I had a few hours in the afternoon to myself so Charlie and I headed out to the 'dreaded' Hoot Owl Trail at KVR.

I say dreaded as I don't really mean it. The only part I was anxious about was the stream crossing which was just over knee deep. 
I'd done it last year with Bill and walked right through it with my boots on.

Anyway, I had decided to take my boots and socks off this time and do it. I had avoided this trail because of the water crossing all summer.
I figured Fall was on its way in, so I better get it done before the cold weather settled in.

Here is Charlie exploring a beautiful view from a bluff. I couldn't pass this up and not spend a few moments gazing down at Warner Creek and Big Valley Road.


 As we started the trail, we met a large group of riders. The lead lady pointed to Big Valley Trail and said they should take that back to their trailers.

I asked where they were parked. Where they were the ones on Cut Off Road by the Million Dollar Bridge? Yes, they were. 

I noted that Big Valley Trail was really nice but they'd end up North of Rockton on Hwy 131 and they'd have to route to the 9-10 Trail, then to Dutch Hollow and then ride through Rockton on the road and ride back over the bridge.

The lady picked up her cell phone and tapped it while trying to hold her horse still. She stared at it and said she was trying to pick up the map on her phone.

[Ahhhh. Cell Phones are the bane of those at KVR. So many areas of the Reserve have no good cell service.]

I asked if she had a paper map. She did not.

I said if they went up Big Valley then they'd add about 4 miles to their ride and have to ride the horses over that huge bridge.

Anyway, I pointed them back to where they could hook up with Hoot Owl/Cut Off that would take them back to their rigs. It would back track for them, but they wouldn't have to deal with 131 traffic.

They all seemed relieved and of course they had to ask if Charlie was a mini Rottweiler. He isn't.

Charlie and I bid them a good day and off we went.




Charlie was the pace setter. The temperature was in the 50's and the trail was clear.

He was on a Mission: 


The first section of the trail winds along under the canopy of the forest and partially alongside and above Warner Creek. You may feel lost in the woods, but if one listens carefully, they can hear the light traffic on County P not far away.

The trail drops down into a valley on the second section. 

And the Fall colors are showing on the Sumac and starting on some of the trees.





Just before the dreaded stream crossing, there is an old sign that says .... Points down....


There used to be a farm somewhere near or around this sign. It is in the low land so I assume the farm was flooded often in heavy rains, or the land was acquired by the Government during the Dam Project.

We got to the stream crossing. Of course I thought I was being so wise to take off my boots and drap them over my neck, pick up Charlie and ... I forged ahead.

In the middle of the creek I'd wished I'd left my boots on. The rocks were slippery and some were sharp. The water was frigid. If anyone would have watched, they would have laughed at us. 

Me...tippy toeing through the frigid water, holding a 13 pound dog across my chest and telling the little dog that I promised not to drop him. He was clinging to me like velcro. He doesn't like water that is deeper than he is tall.


We made it and I walked out to County P barefoot as Charlie charged ahead. 


In the end, I think it was a good decision to take off the boots. We had another mile and a half to go on the last section of the Hoot Owl Trail. We covered that quickly and ran into another group of ladies with beautiful horses.

Using Trail Etiquette, I picked up Charlie and talked with them as they approached and didn't jump around or make any strange movements.
I have yet to have a rude encounter with other hikers, hunters, bicyclists, or riders on the Reserve. [Other than that lady whose dog bit Charlie this spring]










We got to the end of the trail without any issues at all. Charlie trotted the whole way except for the stream crossing. We hiked nearly 4 miles and enjoyed each step of the way.
The scenery was beautiful and the weather was perfect.

My one regret is not having a truck and trailer so I could ride these trails again. However, I think by walking/hiking them, I get to see so much more.


And...

Now I am totally finished with the Eastern section of trails, as well as all of the far south east trails and all of the North west section trails. 


I was going to hike with my nephew and his wife on Saturday to complete one 2 mile section, however this is the weekend of the Dam Challenge. The trails I wanted to go on will be used for a 3.5 mile run.

The Dam Challenge has a 7 mile canoe trip, a 14 mile bicycle ride, and a 3.5 mile run.

I may take my nephew and his wife back to my favorite stomping grounds near the ice caves which will be far away from all the hoopla.

Sections 46, 47, & 48 Completed.

10 comments:

  1. Those first riders were lucky to run into you and listen to you. They's have a had a big surprise. It's a beautiful place you live in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am surprised at the amount of folks who go there and depend on their cell phones to direct them around when KVR states that cell phone coverage is very spotty.

      I was jealous, I really wished I could have been riding too!


      It IS an amazing area I live in, thank you.

      Delete
  2. I can't believe people would expect cell reception in the forest! We lose signal just leaving our small town. So unsafe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe that people rely on their phones more than their brains!
      I carry a compass, a map, and my Emergency Locator Beacon. I do carry the phone but never think about it. It gets stuck in my backpack.

      Delete
  3. Oh I bet they were glad they ran into you and found a better route back!
    Charlie should be nicknamed Charming Charlie. He's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trails can be pretty tricky in that area. I'm glad they didn't end up on the highway and have to ride across a busy bridge!

      Delete
  4. It was a great adventure. I am thinking Charlie thought he was the King of the Trail. He is a neat dog. The last time I took off my shoes and socks to go into water was at a waterfall in Israel. It was a mistake as the whole set of stones in the pool were sharp and painful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch! That would hurt.
      Thanks, Charlie is Mr. Charming.

      Delete
  5. What a great outing for you and Charlie! The last time I went in a lake barefoot I went you know what over teakettle from the slippery rocks...good thing the water broke my fall...and Chance thought it was strange that I was swimming:) You are getting all the trails done and having a good time....a Doberman...seriously?? Obviously not dog people. I saw a Doberman service dog in Walmart he came more than half way up on the cart and was longer than the cart.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duh Rottweiler...Charlie isn't one of those either:)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.