Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Squirrels, seeds, and Charlie


Charlie's nemesis is back. The squirrel[s] are going 'nuts' under the hickory tree. Charlie believes that it is his duty to chase them away. 

I told Rich that we should build a ramp for Charlie next to the kitchen window so he can watch all the activity going on in the yard. The poor little guy is so short he can't see unless he is sitting on the porch.

Morris used to lay down on a step in the open stairway so he could view out the windows. Charlie hasn't mastered the stairs which are not carpeted any more, but are wooden. His long body and short legs make it hard for him to go up and down the stairs.


Charlie likes it even better if I put up the little hammock and let him sit in my lap so he can watch the tree above him. 
I have one of the old hammocks with the wooden ends that he will actually lay in on his own, but that is such a pain to put up and take down.


He is really quite happy on nice days to sit on the porch and watch the yard. I have a tie out for him that is a boat anchor. Everyone chuckles at that but in truth, it works so well for him!

He normally lays on the bench and watches the world go by.


As the zinnias start fading now, I am collecting seed heads for next year. However, the Marigolds that reseeded themselves by the porch along with the Nasturtiums are exploding in brilliant colors.


I will plant Nasturtiums for sure again next year, they really added mounds of beautiful greenery and flowers all around the porch. 





I should be able to collect a lot of seeds from these. I have a large board that sits on the old trunk in the kitchen with several bowls. Each bowl has different seeds that I have been collecting. I can recall my Grandmother doing the very same thing each fall. She'd put her seeds into envelopes that she'd saved from her received mail and then carefully label each envelope for her flower garden the next year. She repurposed before her time.

I would love to take out one of those old metal wagon wheels next year and add morning glories to my tiny side garden.

I think this coming winter I will really miss having a flower garden. Most of all, I'll miss the mini gardens I created this summer.


This morning it was cool enough to turn on our heat for a bit. 

Time to get moving with the rest of my day.


10 comments:

  1. Charlie is so cute! I could spend a day in a hammock with him without a problem. The flowers a gorgeous, something I have missed at my home for a few years. I always say next year. It's been in the 40s overnight but the house stays in the mid 60s so no heat necessary yet, thankfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I can do the 60's in the house, but the other half can't any more, he is on blood thinners so he gets cold easily.

      Delete
  2. You truly live in paradise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it does feel like it sometimes!

      Delete
  3. Your collection of seeds inspire me to do the same. I have old sets of dishes that I can find so many bowls. Charlie is wonderful and to have a special boost to see out of the window is so great. I dread winter as there is too much going on outside that I still want to do and see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, each Fall I feel like there is so much to do yet and then I feel like I am missing something!
      Then winter comes. I'm ok with winter most of the time, I like it too. But I miss the colors!

      Delete
  4. Your flowers are beautiful! Flowers always seem so much brighter in the cooler weather. Charlie is so cute and an anchor would work great for him:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light is a huge factor too, I do most of my shots of flowers in the early morning just as the sun comes over the trees on the ridge.

      Delete
  5. Ted built a ramp for his little dog Merle to climb up to look out the window. Merle loved it also because he was high enough to see what was going on inside instead of just having an ankle high view!
    Charlie has such a cute face.
    I save flower seeds too, only I use jars. I have a jar of black hollyhock seeds that are over 20 years old and still viable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use jars too, but also use Parmesan Cheese containers with that handy top that I can sprinkle seeds with.
      I love hollyhocks!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.