Saturday, September 17, 2022

Another nice ride

Look at Siera! What a typical mule face!

Basically she is giving me the stink eye for tossing the pad on her. Siera is my younger molly mule that I ride.

She came to our place when she was 3 years old. My hubby purchased her against my wishes. We did not need another animal! Of course, her mother was Peruvian Paso and she was gaited. Hubby saw $$$ signs in a trained and gaited mule.


 The folks who sold her to us kept her full sister who was taller and more elegant. Only to sell her a couple of years later because she was in their terms, Ill Tempered, and Difficult. They had sent her to a trainer in Iowa to be 'broken' and trained. 

I have found Siera to be rather sweet and calm. Sure she lets you know when she is a bit tentative about something that is being asked of her. And she will refuse to step into a tiny puddle. She can be a bit bull headed too.
However. She is a mule.

She was probably the easiest one I ever put a saddle on. Just two or three round pen sessions and I was riding her when she was 4. Obstacles like puddles are nothing to me. However, to her they were life threatening.

We worked in hand and under saddle together. She is one of those animals that works best when she thinks it IS her idea and not yours to cross that ditch or to walk through a puddle.

On a flat open trail she boogies in such a smooth gait. When she startles, she becomes a statue. When she figures it out, she sighs and proceeds.  

We moved over to the Hickory tree because it seems some wasps have taken up residence in the back of the trailer.

She is wearing my favorite saddle. I swapped out the western stirrups for English ones when I was doing Endurance with Badger. The ease of changing the length made this a perfect saddle for all the grand kids to use. 
Plus, the saddle is much lighter.


We headed out to ride the same trail as I took Sunshine on. It winds through the woods partly on the old 4 wheelers trail and drops into a valley before climbing again and then follows deer trails and old cattle trails just below the ridge.
Those Ears!




There are 3 dry runs or ditches to cross to circle back towards home. I planned it that way so Siera would think it would be a good idea to cross them.  When she was first ridden in these woods long ago, she absolutely refused to cross these ditches. She planted her feet if you tried to lead her across, or backed up under saddle. 
I don't think she had the confidence at that time to know she was capable.

I spent a lot of time with her and lesser 'ditches'. Eventually, I think she gained confidence in herself. Now? 

She just looks things over and then decides that heading towards home through the obstacles is a good thing. 
She got sweaty ears from worrying about being away from the others.


Our ride was quiet. I made her stand and look around several times. She wants to rush through things when she is by herself. When she is with another equine, she is very chilled.

We found no monsters and no logs or ditches that were scary. We found a lot of little stick tights though.


And ... it is always nice to take the very long way around to go get the mail on the ridge.


Oh. Remember how I said my hubby purchased her against my wishes? After I got her going under saddle I decided she wasn't leaving. I plunked down her purchase price in front of him one morning and said, "SHE is mine."

Her sister? Those folks contacted me after seeing pictures of Siera working with my grand kids. They offered to by her because they wanted a good mule. They went on about how awful her sister became.

And I often wonder if it was the way the mule was handled. When Siera balked at things I never punished or even cursed. I just figured she needed help in figuring out what I was asking of her.
I've done that with all the mules I've handled in the past. 

The trainer they sent the sister too? He was known for being rough and heavy handed to get results. Some mules could handle that I guess. Others? I think it ruined them.

I am not a trainer. Nope, not at all. I just learned through trail and error. I simply ended up often with animals that needed work and since I like to trail ride, I worked with them. 
I'd like to think that I created a bond with those few that have been special in my lifetime.


We had a great little ride and a nice chat in the yard before she went back with the others.




12 comments:

  1. It's always the handling imo. They all have different personalities and some are more difficult than others, but if handled properly they come along. That isn't to say some are not for everyone, they are individuals after all. You may not be a "trainer" but you are a trainer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. We had a gaming mule that literally was impossible to catch and she was quick. However, I got her after hubby decided he didn't want to deal with her any more. She ended up being my best buddy for the last two years of her life. She was terrified or hated most people. She is the mule pictured at the top of the blog.
      I grew to love her so dearly. I never gamed her, I used her as my berry picking partner and mushroom hunting partner.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like that you have to act like a mule whisperer and let them think they are in control. I enjoyed reading about the whole bonding process and the development of the good ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have been very lucky to have good animals around me. A lot of good work can be accomplished by using common sense.

      Delete
  3. You are kind and patient and animals respond to that:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think kind and firm but not nasty is a good rule of thumb.

      Delete
  4. I'm sad her sister couldn't come to you, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I am lucky to have her! Especially since we didn't need her at the time!

      Delete
  5. I really didn't realize you could "ride" a mule. Always thought they were too stubborn for that. Hope you're able to get rid of the wasps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness, no, that is not true at all. I've ridden mules for years. They are just cautious which is mistaken for stubbornness.

      Delete
  6. Not everyone is a good "mule person". I have only ridden one once, and she was definitely in charge as far as what speed we were going to do, but very safe and sane to ride.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siera is likes to rush rush and Sunshine is all about taking in the scenery and doing her own slow pace.
      Mules are not for everyone, and I KNEW I'd never ride one...until of course I did. They grew on me.
      I love a good horse, don't get me wrong I miss my old mare who was pretty steady in most ways.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.