Friday, September 02, 2022

Busy Week

Charlie digs the little hammock I have for our summer afternoons of laziness under the Hickory tree. He can lay on my chest and watch for squirrels and birds and I can swing slowly in the breeze and watch the sky.





Thursday morning was one of our typical foggy mornings were it was warm and sticky. I thought I'd be smart and walk down through the woods and check for Chicken of the Woods or something interesting before it got really muggy.
I found these!

Chicken of the Woods! Now I've seen them before and even tried a tiny bit last year. But since my neighbor Olive raved on about them, I picked some and then sent her a photo asking if this was what she was talking about. I picked them, afraid that the slugs lining up would really mess them up.



She started texting back at how THIS was it and they were delicious! I said I could bring it to her and she asked if she and her son Aiden could come down in the afternoon and I could show her the other ones. 

Of course!

Ever take a two year old on a hike in the woods? He really did quite well. When she set him down, he grabbed sticks and scooted around on logs and even helped pick more Chicken of the Woods. We ended up with a really big pile.

I took them down into the Meadow and a short way down the forest trail to see some fungi she'd described.
The books describe it as False Coral Fungi and it has a horribly long scientific name. Though it looks like bird droppings when it first starts, but generally grows on Oak roots from under the ground.
Cool beans, right?


Aiden saw the mules and ran with his toddler legs. The mules all stood quietly and watched. All of them have been around babies and toddlers before. [Mom caught him before he got to the fence.]

Aiden's face when he saw the mules...


I really get a kick out of some of the common names of fungi. The one below is perhaps...White Cheese Polypore. Not necessarily something you would want to eat though.

 

The thrill of the afternoon was Aiden discovering our 4 wheeler parked in the yard. He just had to sit on it and 'drive' it. Boys and machines!

I walked with Olive back home while she pulled Aiden in the Radio Flyer. I carried the big loot we'd gotten and she said she'd prep it and freeze some for us. I told her to make sure she had enough for them to enjoy and freeze too.

She commented on how fun it was to meet someone who liked doing what she did. And how hard it generally was to ask anyone to go into a messy forest on a hot day and look for fungi.

We sure had a laugh over that.

Olive said she had wanted to walk down to our place and meet us, but never wanted to be a bother. 

I guess we got over that part rather quickly. We know that we both are busy people. Her with her job and her son. Me with my hubby and critters.

But we may find some time here and there to do things both of us enjoy.

That is a win-win for for the both of us. Let's see what happens.

Today is a day for appointments. I have to see the eye doctor again. My vision has changed again since March. 



10 comments:

  1. Looks like you have found a kindred spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun that you discovered each other!!! I love your adventures together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, your hammock looks like the perfect place for you & Charlie to relax! Lucky you!!

    Now I am wondering if what we have popping up allll over the pine woods is also False Coral. Hmmm? Except perhaps for the first related group of fungi. I recently took pics of those with my camera. You know, the ones I haven't processed yet lol. They were growing in different woods (our Enchanted Forest) and more "jelly/translucent". Guess I better fire up PS and take a closer comparison look.

    I think it is super wonderful (for both of you) to have a nearby neighbor that shares similar likes! Even if you can only get together occasionally (like us!) for whatever reason. Lasting friendships are forged over time anyways. She has a cute kiddo. I have hiked with a two year old (I want up, I want out...carry meeeee) it's slow going, but fun in other ways.

    Hope your eye appoint goes okay. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were able to get me back to seeing as I should. I just needed an update in the middle of the year as my cataracts slowly progress. All good for now.

      There are tons of Coral type fungi, this False one is distinctly different and likes to come up out of oak roots. Other corals love the earth and wood under pines!

      The hammock is our after noon 'Time out' place for about an hour a day. :P

      Delete
  4. I wish I had a hammock. I think you have found a perfect friend and fellow forest enthusiast. Having youth around is so beneficial, both her and her darling little boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was an easy hammock to put up, it can be a bit harder to get in and out of. I was surprised at how cheap it was!

      I do enjoy younger folks and their kids.

      Delete
  5. I have another blog friend that loves that kind of fungi. We were told all fungi were poison in Iowa. It wasn't true but I am still leary over them. I love the morels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandmother told us that all fungi/mushrooms were poisonous so I have been very leery of trying them, but gaining a tiny bit of confidence a little at a time.

      Delete
  6. Anonymous7:35 PM

    It's so nice to have a friend you can do things with!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have a fungi friend!! Good for you both! :)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.