Monday, September 19, 2022

Section 50 Cut Off Trail

 I'm getting down to the last few trails for my Trail Challenge at Kickapoo Valley Reserve. Sunday morning I set out to beat the heat and humidity and knock off a trail I wasn't too excited about doing.

Since my pal Bill has bowed out of hiking the trails with me due to some hip issues and family obligations, I have to make loops out of these hikes. Sometimes that means walking double the distance or backtracking.

I'm okay with that.


The map has the trail as a 1.41 mile end to end trail. In order to do that I had to walk up the gravel road to the one trail head and then hike back to my car on the trail and part of the gravel road. I walked just about 3 miles to accomplish a completion of section #50.


The views walking the gravel road were pretty nice. In fact, it was prettier than I thought it would be. The sky was overcast for the most part.


Then the sun broke through as I reached the top of the hill and turned to look back...


I saw a lot of trucks parked on the side of the road and recalled that deer bow season had just opened. It was hot and muggy and all the bucks I've seen still have their velvet. It didn't make sense to hunt in this heat and in this rough terrain.
Then I heard a couple of shots that sounded like .22's. That made me curious.

I found the trail head and set off.
Fairly quickly I ran into one fellow in all camo who was huffing and puffing while he climbed up the steep hill from the roadside. 
We talked briefly. He and a couple of other guys were Squirrel Hunting. He was polite and even told me, "Have a great hike ma'am."

Uffdah! Ma'am! I told him to have a good hunt.


I'm glad I hadn't brought Charlie, the overnight light rain and the humidity would have made it hard for him. The few gunshots I heard would have reduced him to a quivering Pekenhund Puddle. I would have had to carry him.

The trails were quite muddy in some spots and slippery. However, this trail is pretty but not very challenging. It basically runs alongside the gravel road in the woods.







I walked past two fellas that were looking at the woods and talking about ... I assume bow or gun deer hunting spots. We nodded and greeted each other as we passed. I was surprised. Normally, I don't see another human on my morning hikes.

However, different hunting seasons are now open. 

The light would have been fantastic in some parts of the woods had I waited for a late afternoon sun, but I had to pick my hikes when I could get them in and not always plan for the best light.

The Sumac in some places was astounding! Near home, it has just begun to change, but here it was blazing with incredible colors.


I ended up back on the gravel road and headed downhill to where I parked at the 'other' Cut Off Trail Head. I'd hiked that section with Bill and Jason on January 8th. I have one more hike to do in the north east section by Warner Creek and I will have finished that part of the Reserve.

A truck passed me and then parked behind my Subaru. I was curious as the men inside the truck didn't appear to be hikers. When I approached they stepped out of their truck and said hello again. They were the two fellas I'd passed on the ridge.



They were from Michigan and had decided to come to "Weesconsin" to check out the Reserve for deer hunting. They lamented that if they shot a deer there would be no easy access to drag it out. The terrain was really rough and there were so many trails, they had no idea where to even begin!

We talked for a couple of minutes and then I walked down to the bridge to take a shot of Warner Creek. Which...on Google Maps is called Jug Creek. But that is wrong. 
Oh well.

Warner Creek never disappoints me and I always stop to take a shot just like this in every season of the year at this bridge.


The hike was hot and muggy, but not really buggy like I expected. The Fall colors are starting to show and are simply beautiful.

I checked my time and was happy. I'd be home before lunch and could make applesauce and do laundry.

One more section off my list!





8 comments:

  1. You had a little added interest of the human variety on this hike. Why do people hunt squirrels? Do they eat them? I really don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we can eat them. A bit of work to get a good meal, but worth it. I ate squirrel as a kid on my Uncle's farm. I also ate some other meats that Grandma never identified for us. :-)

      Delete
  2. You had a good hike, the Sumac is beautiful! Poor Charlie had to stay home and nap with Rich! You must have lots of apples to make applesauce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I purchased 5 lbs at the Farmer's Market, I will get some more this coming week as they were excellent!

      Delete
  3. No one hunted in my family and I didn't know any hunters. Mark doesn't hunt, either. I learn something every day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been among hunters most of my life. I enjoyed hunting squirrels as they are so hard to get at. Enough make a good meal. I don't hunt deer though, just never got the itch to do it. I'd rather photograph them.

      Delete
  4. Homemade applesauce is so good to eat. I like the creek full of water photo. You had quite an adventure. I bet Charlie enjoyed a nap while you were gone. He can always go another time on a shorter jog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Charlie just can't take the heat since he is a dog that has a short snout and is so low to the ground.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.