Tuesday, May 31, 2022

Infrared Day

The Meadow - not in infrared. 

This is the area I'd like to be able to clip in some fashion. 
I just don't see that happening for me. At one time hubby would clip it with his tractor and brush hog.
In other places where I'd knocked down the burdock and sourdock, the motherwort is flourishing. 
I just can't win!

This scene is peaceful and calming.


It was too hot to do a lot of things outside. I usually clip the herds' manes by this time of the year, but I'm going to wait for my 'farm' help to do that this coming week. Charlie was nagging me for a walk so I headed up the driveway with just the Infrared camera.

Driveway: 665nm Filter


While hot days with a midday sun are horrible for most photography, those are the prime conditions for Infrared. Different filters with different wavelengths of light give different looks. 





Charlie was very unimpressed with the heat and hot sun. I thought I'd cool him off by heading into the forest...

Charlie in Infrared. Zombie Dog!


Infrared does some weird stuff to the eyes of people and dogs! They look really odd.

I gave Charlie a ride back to the ridge and started home.

This was neat in IR but I sure liked it in Sepia black and white better.

Neighobor's Vintage Tractor. 
He has put it up for sale.


I dropped the Hot Dog off at the house with hubby. They proceeded to watch really old strange Westerns on TV. I am not into blurry crappy movies at all. 

I grabbed a 720nm filter from my pile of ancient filters I had. I wanted to experiment and enjoy the summer day some more.

The herd under one of the boxelders they love to use for shade. I took this shot in Infrared with a 720nm filter which turns anything with chlorophyll in it basically white. 

Infrared is fun to experiment with. Thank goodnes
the mules didn't appear to be Zombies!




The 720nm filter will produce white leaves and blue sky
if you have a converted camera and use the green grass to set
your white balance.

Weird, right?


I got mesmerized by the backwards light of things. The dark greens I saw with my normal vision were bright white while the trunks and branches of the trees were dark and moody.


I got caught up in gazing up at the branches into the light. I shot a lot of photos more for the dark patterns of the branches than for anything else. 

Most of them didn't turn out as I 'saw' them in my mind, but it was fun to see the intricate patterns of the leaves and the branches.



Infrared offers so many possibilities in a creative way.

Locust tree budding out next
to our house. Those are leaves
not flowers.
The flowers will come in a few
days.


Yes, I do experiment a lot. It is the one thing I am passionate about. Monday was just a great day for it.



7 comments:

  1. You picked a great day for IR and found/created a lot of moodiness. All great pics! I especially like the blue river road & locust photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love the locust one as I've never looked at them like abstracts before.
      That road/driveway is one of my favorite places to walk to for sunrises and even star gazing. I walk that road often! And ride it down into the valley!
      :)

      Delete
  2. They are all great shots. I have not heard of the infrared before. Live in the boonies I guess. I like all the special effects it gives you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Infrared is simply a light spectrum that we can't see with our eyes and our cameras. Each filter represents a different light spectrum. I live in the boonies, but just enjoy strange and new things! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Gosh, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.