Thursday, May 12, 2022

Wild Hot Wednesday

Ok. Not Wild, but surely HOT!

As the Caregiver for my husband, I am now taking an online class regarding 'Caregiving' with the Veteran's Administration. I sort of dreaded the first class. Apprehension is pretty common when you aren't sure what you are getting into. 
[It isn't much different than the class called Building Better Caregivers]

I realized that I was not alone. I am not the only person caring for someone. 
I also realized that in some ways I have it much easier than other Caregivers. My husband actually sleeps at night. Imagine caring for someone who wanders 24 hrs a day?

Well. Enough of that.

~~~~~~

The mules are in the woods. They can walk around in the Buckthorn section of the woods and find patches of nice grass. It will be a bit before they can go into the larger section of woods. I want to figure out a way to keep them off the meadow for a while longer. The meadow suffered last year with it being so dry.

To say the least, being in the woods has taught my equine to deal with obstacles. They rarely twitch an ear to large logs or difficult trails.


~~~~~~~~
Against the other half's wishes I bought another hummingbird feeder and a little thistle feeder for the goldfinches.

Funny that adding a second feeder and attracting the goldfinches has caused someone to watch out the window and give me a running commentary on what kind of birds have come to the feeders!

Truth is, he is enjoying bird watching.


The hummingbird fights are something to see! If our military could build planes as agile as these birds that would be something wouldn't it?

Hummers are very territorial!




The female Grosebeak is also very territorial. -- Not a good shot -- but here she is defending a piece of an orange in the grass from a male Oriole.


I think the goldfinches are incredible in their color too. 


Enough of the birds right? I have yet to upload the photos from today where those golden beauties are hanging out in the Hickory Tree.

When I woke up this morning the fog was incredibly thick and it was muggy out. I fired up the 'Ru and went up to the ridge to see if the sky would provide a colorful sunrise.


I am in love with this area. The land is not flat, and the morning mists roll along on humid mornings creating an incredible landscape. The view never gets boring.


We accomplished some mowing today but won't be doing the rest of it until it cools off a bit.

Tomorrow it is supposed to get to 93 degrees. 

What bizarre weather. From using the heat last week and frosty mornings, too using the AC.

Oh boy! 

Bird alert! We saw Indigo Buntings today! They are so stunning in their bright blue feathers.




7 comments:

  1. I sometimes do a bird commentary from the kitchen window! We like to watch the birds too. Great entertainment for Rich! You have a good variety of birds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your birds are just lovely and your photos show them off! I am glad the new birdfeeders were a hit, despite someone's misgivings. It is hot here too. I still have my winter coat over the back of a chair and it was 83 degrees today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, it went from cold to hot in a single day here in Iowa! Cheryl say an Oriole a couple days ago in the yard. I quickly put out some jelly for them and have been waiting for them to return. They have not! Nor have I seen any Hummers yet, but I'm sure if I put out the feeders, I would get some visitors. I simply have not had the time... ( or forget, after a long day or scoring...) I will have to make it a priority for next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw my first hummer at my feeder while talking on the phone. My cousin wasn't as excited as what I was as she couldn't see it. We lost so much land to house building south of us that I haven't seen gold finch for a couple of years. I keep putting out feed for them and house finches enjoy it. Your photos are great when you can catch it the best you can. Oriole migrate through here for a short time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are definitely not alone with the family caregiving. I know it can be time consuming it can be so it's great to see that you are able to have time to yourself and get out in nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Much more interesting for equine to graze in varied terrain, than a boring open field. The fog was cool here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good observation. I was told to take some logs out to my pastures once to get the mules used to crossing obstacles and I laughed because the person had never seen my 'pastures' which are full of obstacles. Turkeys, deer, logs, rocks, coyotes, and whatnot. Once, even the neighbor's cattle. :)

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.