Sunday, May 22, 2022

Pallet & Container Garden



Building this garden is turning out to be fun and a matter of using what is at hand to make things work.

The plastic under the pallets are old round hay bale covers that farmers used before they started to use the wraps. The old tubs have holes in them from being bashed around.

I added chunks of wood and a small bit of squished goat bedding to the bottom of each container. A tiny version of Hugelkultur gardening. The manure, leaves, sticks, and tiny pieces of wood break down in the bottom of the container and provide the soil with nutrients.

This is all an experiment afterall,...so why not?

The dirt. I am digging it from an old pile of Bull manure from the pen we kept our Dexter bull in years ago. Under the grass and weeds is a fine textured soil. It has been perculatin' for about 6 years, so it should be good for garden soil. It will contain weed seeds, but I am prepared for that. I haul it by bucket loads in the 4 wheeler's cart. 

Rich made a comment that I was going to use Bull-hit to make a garden.

😲

Rich also voted that I use the green bucket. It is ugly! I may go find a black lick tub that isn't so garish. I threatened to spray paint the green plastic tub but that would only make it look worse!

I'm sure I can find a black one that somewhere in the weeds behind one of the sheds. But in the end, it doesn't matter much about the container other than can IT hold dirt and can I grow a nice plant in it?


Sunday's project is to bring in two more pallets to have a fun little garden between the house and the LP tank. This is a pain in the arse to mow, so with the pallets, I can have flowers and walk through 'the garden' on the wooden slats!




It seems that my Lego People really like the pallet garden too. It is always good to have extra help.


Miss Molly dropped in [we never even heard her!] and jetted out to the shed where she promptly cleaned the rest of Sven's pen and then cleaned Lil' Richard's pen. 

Sweet! She and I fixed Sven's pen [say that 3 times fast] door so it would open properly. She visited with Rich and then helped him with the gates so he could dump manure with the skid steer and mow the one pasture we had made last week.

Today, if the timing works out, she'll come over and we will go riding together in the woods.



10 comments:

  1. The Marvelous Molly! I just love your pallet garden even if it was constructed with BS, LOL. And I am so happy you have all those lego people working hard on the garden too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of the H...style of gardening. Very cool & makes total sense. Sounds like a lot of stuff is getting done at your place, with extra hands. Always a good feeling. I think every garden should be created with a lot of BS. Rich is funny!

    Hope you get your ride in. We were going to ride outside today too, but the wind is whipping like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have wanted to try those pallet gardens. You can also make them into a vertical garden.
    Nice to have help even if they are tiny!
    Hope you get a good ride in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! The nice thing about it, I can take it apart this fall and rearrange things next year. I thought of the vertical garden but don't have a place it would do well! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. Miss Molly is a great friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a really great young lady!

      Delete
  5. Looks like your garden will work great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am enjoying being creative. I may change it up next year...who knows?

      Delete
  6. I am exhausted from yesterday's work in the garden. I guess I need to get my legg people in the basement and put them to work today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! The Lego folks are quite helpful. If nothing else, they make me stop and enjoy the little things once in a while!
      I bet your Legos are awesome!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.