Saturday, May 21, 2022

Craaaazzzy!



Photos above. Rich moving waste from Sven's pen and smoothing a path out in the Winter Pasture.

I attached a milk crate on the front of the 4 wheeler and set Charlie in it. He likes to ride there and supervise while I am hauling stuff with the 4 wheeler. I GO super slow with him on board. It is better that he ride there than scrambling around on my lap.






Spring is such a busy time of the year. Everyone is catching up with yard work or planting flowers or a garden.

Mowing the grass is a fun change over plowing and shoveling.

Mornings are glorious and the weather keeps changing so we are kept on our toes.

Most early mornings find me wandering up the road checking out the trees and brush leafing out. I'm still trying to figure out which bush is what. I may be getting a handle on a few trees also. I'm taking a lot of photos, but just leaving them in a file to look at later...

I've been morel hunting without great success but I've found enough to give us a taste. I scored some Golden Oyster Mushrooms and may dry them for soups later. 

Deep Woods Morel
Hunting with chaps on to protect
my legs:

Morels are getting hard to spot if they are small:


The neighbor's woods are 
becoming overgrown with Garlic
Mustard!


Golden Oyster Mushroom




I found yet another newborn fawn while hiking. I just get all mushy inside when I find them. They are beyond adorable.




I am ditching the idea of raising a garden. But I am cobbling together a container garden and dropping it in a section of the yard that is too hard to mow. 

It was never really smoothed out after they made a mess while remodeling the house. Each year I ask to hire someone to come in and re grade it or at least fill the bumps and lumps in to make it a nice section of yard. Each year HE says NO, he'll do it. 

Creative gardening can really help. Years ago there was a huge mess of stumps, rocks, and weeds alongside the little Red Shed. I asked if I could re-purpose it into a shade garden. HE said yes. The garden is pictured below. The area around it is very hard to mow, but I'm working on it!


I'm still not sure what to do with my 'containers'. But I placed them here on the west side of the house and then decided that I want the works to be place on the bumpy place which gets a lot of sun but has nothing but lumpy bumpy sand and clay from the construction on it. 

I plan on putting tomatoes in one or two containers and then filling the pallets with dirt and tossing in wildflower mixes along with sunflowers. Basically just toss in the seeds and see what craziness occurs.

The green container is an old mineral lick tub, I may add a second one. The others are washtubs and the buckets are from Rich's Grandfather's farm. They were used in gathering maple syrup.

I know it is ugly, but with the price of wood or even the price of containers for raised beds being what they are, who really cares??? I think I'll go out and see what goodies our old farm has. 


I even found wagon wheels in the Red Shed! Hmmmm!  I love new projects. I never sit down and draw it out, I just get the pieces and experiment. 

This morning I have a Mobility and Flexibilty Class. I like it a lot since I am constantly on the move and need to keep up my mobility, flexibility, and balance. After all...I wouldn't be able to do what I do if I just sat in a chair and watched TV.

From last week's hike. Photo by Wild Bill:




 Have a grrrreat Saturday.

8 comments:

  1. It's awesome that Rich is getting outside & participating in caring for your place. Just what the doctor ordered. The fawns don't even lift their heads? They are so sweet. I've never seen such a young one in person. Love your creative gardening!! Repurposing is the way to go, especially when you've got such great stuff. Wagon wheels are perfect for gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The green tubs are garish so I may not use them. I am modifying the pallets with and edge board to go along the one side and maybe put dirt in between the slates?
      But that said, I'm sure they would look great if I spray painted them like tie-dyish? LOL.

      The fawns don't move at all. The one Charlie found didn't even twitch when he stood next to it!

      Delete
    2. You could always sink the less eye appealing containers in the ground. We have rhubarb growing in a sunken container, and just sunk two more of dwarf blueberry bushes. Works great! Whatever you come up with will be great!

      Delete
    3. True, I thought of that. But I may move things again next year 🤣!

      Delete
  2. Your shade garden looks great! Good to see Rich out and about!! Your containers will work great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is a job to keep up until the hostas take over, but it always pleases my eye to look at it in the spring!

      Delete
  3. I love the idea about wildflowers inbetween the slats! I think your pallet garden looks terrific. We grow our tomatoes in sawed off plastic trash cans on our deck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neat! What a great use of old trash cans! Our lick tubs are like that too. Rich said if the green was too ugly, I should go find a black one. I said that the black ones were still 'good' for using as water tubs for the goat and pony. LOL. Always thinking like a farmer!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.