Sunday, May 08, 2022

Sunday

Today is Mother's Day and a fine day to just chill out and relax.

Charlie and I worked on the east side flower bed yesterday. Well, he supervised.





It will look much nicer after I put the mulch path back in and put in some annuals.
I am taking my time and enjoying the process. I have to go all the way around the house but this is the most colorful summer flower garden I usually have.

Our farriers Danny and Dan were out Friday and I showed Danny how I was using his Horseshoe Sunflower he had created. He'd made it originally as just a garden decoration, but I thought it would make an interesting Oriole feeder.



I was absolutely right!




The Orioles do knock down the oranges. I just sent these photos to Danny so he can see how I've used his creation.

He also made me a  handcrafted Shepard's Hook last fall. I gave him a price I'd pay and told him to surprise me with a design.

He did, and it is gorgeous. I set it up for my Hummingbird feeder.



Funny how even the goldfinches loved the design!



I couldn't get the whole hook's design in one shot. There are vines and delicate metal leaves twisted around the hook. It is delicate looking and just plain gorgeous. I'll keep that where I can admire it all summer long. My other mundane hooks can hold hanging flower baskets.

Somewhere in one of my older blogs, I have photos of the hooks Dan made for me. They are works of art themselves. Metal leaves and twisted vines look delicate but aren't. I just need to finish off a nice 2 by 4 and mount it by the back door to display them.

So today will be just a quiet day. Reading and enjoying the soft rain that is falling.



6 comments:

  1. The guy does great metal work. You dog is on cool one. He works hard at resting. I like his fur color. I have grass in flower beds that I hate but I will work it out a few different sets of time. It will be nice to plant flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do admire their ability to forge metal and make magical designs with it!

      Delete
  2. Hummers already! I better get my feeders out soon. Next week is supposed to be warm. Looks like Charlie has the right Idea... Napping in the sun. Some friends have been feeding and enjoying the Orioles as well. I have never been able to get them to stay and eat anything. Such a pretty bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have been lucky to be so remote and in the woods. They have made nests near the house for nearly all of the years I've lived here.
      They are beautiful!

      Delete
  3. Happy Mother's Day! You have orioles!! I bought oranges! Ours should be here in a week or so. Charlie shines in the sunlight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love metal art! Great sunflower. I bet he liked how you are using his creation. I think I would wrap wire or Macgyver something to poke the oranges so they stay on. But that's just me. The birds are so colorful this time of year :)

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.