Thursday, August 05, 2021

Observations

I am so lucky to have an Orb Weaver set up in my Petunias!

Here she is on the day when I discovered her. 


Next day...she had her first catch! She is holding an insect but I couldn't get any closer than this without disturbing her.


She then wraps her victim up in a tidy package.


I imagine she ate it or stored it somewhere for when she lays her eggs?
And she awaits her next victim.


Crab Spider on the buds of a golden rod.



I did use a macro lens for this and it was nearly impossible to see if I was getting this tiny spider! 

Goldenrod action last night. Ants were crawling up and down the plant. I wonder if they were hunting tiny aphids?


These were all found near the house and neighbor's meadow since I am still under the watchful eye of the other half. 

Queen Anne's Lace. This is by far my most favorite wildflower of late summer. 

Morning dew


Late evening flower


Queen Anne Lace seeds


They are just so interesting! And they smell nice too. 

What is your favorite wild flower this time of year??? Hmmm?

Things are quiet on the home front. The mower was delivered and Rich already used it before the rain set in. 

One small step each day. I count today as a success so far.
My little pressing and drying experiment is going very well!

Queen Anne's Lace, Wild Purple Vervain, Cosmos, Bee Balm, and Lavender. And guess what? I have no idea what I will actually do with them!


Have a most excellent day.

I'm going to close my eyes and listen to the light rain.


7 comments:

  1. We got 1/4 inch of rain sounds like you got more than that. Glad the mower is fixed and someone besides you is cutting grass!
    This time of year I like Bee Balm and Goldenrod!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a nice soft rain that came on and off during the day. LOL on his mowing...he tends to spray the garden, house, and porch with grass and I prefer not to have to clean all of that!
      No complaining this time though, I'm sure the rain will wash the grass off the house siding!
      He was able to do some mowing and that is what counts.

      Delete
  2. Ha! Love that your other half is keeping an eye on you. Hmmm, appears the tables have turned a bit ;) Pressed flowers look beautiful applied to wood (ex. chairs), photo frames, fill in the blank epoxy projects etc. Easier said than done, I've never tried any of these - but, I think they sound like great creative fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you know how to do epoxy projects? I think the flowers would look cool on my porch rocker under epoxy! I want to do a picture frame of them I think too!
    Haha. He is like a hawk, so I am naughty when he sleeps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know exactly how to do epoxy projects. Ironically I started looking into epoxy last week, for my own potential rock projects. I am in the early dreaming stages (my favorite part!) and won't look into actual DIY until I make decisions. There are bazillion possibilities, furniture "rivers" would be amazing. I would think for chairs you brush, or better yet spray sealant on delicate flowers. No doubt there are are tons of tut's online.

      Delete
  4. Those spiders are so beautiful! You would never know I have a phobia of spiders. ( It is not debilitating though.) We used to "feed" the spiders when I was a kid. Catch a fly and throw them in the web to watch the spider spin them up. we did it so often the spider got "full". and stopped playing. I had a garden spider in my tomatoes a few years back. Had I know the frost would kill her, I would have brought her inside. If only to last a few more weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My neighbor's young daughter adores all insects, she would hug them if possible!
      Yes this one is cool, it had a larger insect wrapped up yesterday!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.