Saturday, August 28, 2021

Fungi Fun Guy!

Well I think these are Boletes that look like they have seen better days. 

I found these not far from an old tall oak in our forest that has a racoon den in its top.



Remember the ones I said were Wolf Farts? These are the same ones a few days later.


So I think some fungi are only beautiful when they are just coming out of the ground. 

I thought I'd found Turkey Fan Fungi. But no I didn't!
The Scientific name I believe is: Daedaleopsis confragosa. 
Try to say that a few times quickly. I can't.
I prefer a common name like Blushing Bracket [if it turns red], another name is Thin mazed flat polypore
That doesn't sound very memorable either.
I'm just going to call it .. the Fake Turkey Fan Fungi.


The Turkey Fan Fungi.
Scientific name: Trametes versicolor

I found this about 200 feet from the other one. Last year, this log had a different kind of fungi on it and at the base of the tree where half the tree is sort of alive.


I found white jelly fungi all over one section of our woods. Some of the pieces were rather large and looked like the common jelly fungi of Witch's Butter but pure white.
I like the common name which is easy to remember.
Snow Fungus.
Scientific name: Tremella fuciformis
Apparently this is 'good' stuff which has anti-inflammatory properties. Um. Still not sure I'd go with eating this. You can purchase different forms of this fungi to eat, to take as a pill, or to use on your skin.
I know there is so much we don't know about what is growing around us.


Then I found this which was aged and old. Curious that I first thought someone had left some material in the woods.
I have no clue what it might be. Obviously it grew a long time ago and turned black.

Fungi/mushrooms are very short lived. The following is some sort of Japanese Umbrella fungi, I think. I found it at 8 am when I headed out to check the fences.


I returned to look at it after I'd done chores and picked sweet corn.
In two hours, it looked like this....


These fungi/molds/mushrooms are constantly changing.

I consider myself extremely lucky to find them as they Pupawee. That is a Potowatami word for Emerge or Passage. 

Here are some more slightly ugly looking fungi, but I found them quite beautiful in the way they were grouped and in all different stages of their short lives.

Ink caps




I took a series of photos of one type of fungi that I think is pretty interesting. I found them when they were fresh and glistening. I took photos in a series of days to see what they looked like when they were done with their job. I won't put it here today but will save it for another time.

After 4.5 inches of rain in the past 24 hours, I'm headed out to check out the woods once more and see what will surprise me.

I leave you with this Fun Guy. 
One of my tiny soldiers sitting on an Oyster Mushroom.




6 comments:

  1. Nice finds, I am actually starting to recognize some of them on our property! Agreed, fungi is ever changing and short lived. I am fairly certain the Wolf Fart was the mushroom I was awed by earlier this Summer. It is growing everywhere on our property now, in different stages. Looking forward to your pic series.

    We got a total of 2", 1.5" was one downpour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to gather my brain cells together and see IF I can get them to work. I may try the Sunday Stills now that I looked it up.
      I went to find more fungi yesterday and ended up exploring the creek that had been cleaned out with the flash flooding. It is beautiful without being choked in weeds.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I hope the skeeters settle down so I can enjoy the deep woods better!

      Delete
  3. Cool pics! I have never seen the "Maze Turkey Tail". (Nor could I pronounce the scientific name... Despite 4 years of Latin in High School!) I always have a tough time with Turkey tail. There are supposedly only a few "look-a-likes," but I seem to always find them. The Velvet Toothed polypore is very common here. Along with a "crust Mold" that looks a lot like Turkey tail. Have only positively found Turkey Tail once and harvested as much as I could. ( it was Fresh!) Good for fighting cancer and other nasty ailments. Kind of bitter though, so I put it in a my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always assumed that if it looked like Turkey Tail it was until I started really checking into it.
      Bitter huh?
      I have had Chaga Tea and hubby drank it when he was going through cancer treatement.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.