Monday, March 27, 2023

Wild things

 My pal couldn't make it on Sunday morning, so I packed up my long lens and headed out to the ponds at the Reserve.

I know. I go there a LOT. It is 20 minutes or so by car and has nice trails along with nice access to a river.

The serious bird photographers this time of year are wandering up and down Highway 35 along the Mississippi or taking trips along the Wisconsin River where the wildlife is truly amazing and abundant.

I have to stay closer to home on my excursions. Hubby gets uncomfortable if I head out too.

When I got to the Reserve there was one vehicle parked in the Visitor's Center Parking lot. Usually people don't show up early to explore the Reserve. I could hear Sandhill Cranes, Redwing Blackbirds, and Canada Geese from the lot.

But motion in the tree ahead of me captured my attention.




Hubby says it was a pine squirrel. Around our home and in the forest we have quite a few grey squirrels but I rarely see the ones colored like this.

I stood for a long time and watched him/her, then moved on quietly. It was such a pretty and cute squirrel.

I went down the railroad tie stairs and along the Visitor Trail to another muddy trail that went between the two ponds. 

March 17th last year I spotted a pair of Trumpeter swans in the western pond. To my great surprise and delight, I found Swans again.

March 26th and I found the swans again!



I sat still and watched them for a while. I was able to observe a bunch of ducks too. I could see a wood duck paddling around the swans and I didn't want to spook any of them.


A gent with a dog came up the trail and he was trying to be quiet, but the movement of them set the whole pond off and birds started to take off.


Of course the Sandhill Cranes couldn't let just the geese make all the noise so they joined in too. But they didn't leave. They were on the far side of the ponds.





I decided to walk down another muddy trail on my way back to the parking lot when I heard a bird and saw a flash of blue across another pond.

It was far away, but I tried to catch a shot or two anyway.

A Belted Kingfisher.



I sure was pleased.

On the way back to the car I thought how nice it would be to arrive predawn and sit quietly by the ponds in a more remote spot and just watch all of the water fowl. 

It doesn't look like the weather will be good enough during this week though. Another Thursday sleet and snowish event. Yuck.

However a beautiful Bluebird stopped by as we were eating supper. So Spring is coming, right?




11 comments:

  1. Spring will come! And what a lovely array of birds you saw today. Thank you for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your a welcome. Thank you for stopping in!

      Delete
  2. That is a beautiful Bluebird! We should get them mid April...maybe. You had a great outing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year we had two sets of blue birds that actually stuck around and nested! I imagine this was a scout!

      Delete
  3. You had a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, lots of fresh air and birds!

      Delete
  4. Just look at all the wild wonderfullness you found!! I love watching Spring water activity, especially swans. Your bluebird photo is beautiful, complete with bokeh. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky for me that was through the windows I'd removed screens from for the winter. I used the long lens! :)

      Delete
  5. Anonymous4:54 PM

    Very nice blue bird! I love king fishers... even though they used to eat the fish when I worked a the Fish Hatchery. I had a couple mounted after the guys shot them ( to protect the fish...) They are a beautiful bird. And are fun as long as they are not eating all of your profits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great squirrel photos! And you sure lucked out on all the birds! What a great day for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The squirrel is such a great size and color. I am always hoping to see swans but it seldom happens. You have quit a nature site to sit and shoot great photos of the happenings around the area.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.