Friday, March 03, 2023

Self Care -- What really is it?

 Yesterday's post sounded like I was down and out. I generally get a bit of a road bump in my attitude this time of year when things are muddy and drab outside. I have to really urge myself to go out and get fresh air.

Taking a walk in the forest is a combination of slush, mud, and slippery footing. The world is mud colored, and on many days it is drab and overcast. This transfers to my brain as 'Yuck' and 'Boring'. I don't feel like doing much and the less I move the worse I feel.

I went to CrossFit yesterday. I'd been putting it off because basically I just didn't feel like doing anything and the weather hasn't been exactly great either. I enjoyed the partner workout with the other two ladies I ended teaming up with. We worked hard, we played hard, and we encouraged each other each step of the way.

Everyone in the gym is positive an encouraging. One of the other members specifically came up to me and told me he was happy to see me back in the gym. He specifically said to me: "You Need to be Here.'

I thought his comment was strange at first. It wasn't. He was right. I got in the car to run an errand and drive home.

A program came on the radio regarding: Self Care. 
Self Care has become an over used Buzz Word that so many think to mean things like: Expensive Trips, Getaways, Spa Trips, Binge Watching TV, .... and so on. 
Self Care is really about Prioritizing Mental and Physical Health. 

The VA stresses Caregiver Self Care. I've attended those programs virtually and the social workers really like to talk about taking time for yourself. [That sounds so ridiculous. But it is true.]

I don't label what I do as Self Care, but I know that the atmosphere in the CF gym gives me a sense of belonging and a sense of normalcy. [I'm not the only 'aged' person that attends the gym.]
I also know that studying photography and art keep my mind fresh. I know that studying nature is more relaxing than doing the checkbook and bills!

When I start to get overwhelmed by caring for another, I have to step back and see what I can do for myself. 

Sometimes that is so very hard to see.

One of the biggest things that gets me down is hearing others plan trips to go hiking in places I've always known that I wanted to go to. I was going to retire and go camping in my Subaru to visit state parks and natural areas. I was going to see waterfalls, overlooks, and find out what kind of backpacker I might be.

The saving grace of it all is that I live in an amazing area. It has bluffs, rivers, and such a diverse natural area that it attracts folks from all over. 


Those things ease the stress of caring and giving your all. I make my own little adventures here and there that get me out of the house and away for a small amount of time.

I think up creative ways to do photography even when stuck inside.

Self Care is hard work.



6 comments:

  1. There you go! Every day, something fun just for you, great approach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to take time for yourself. (hugs). I am glad you see the issue and are doing what you can. I think you are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! I'll remember that. You live in a fantastic place for someone with your spirit. It really diverse and often rugged. It's good you got to the gym, outside this time of year can be difficult and unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Self care is hard work and you do an admirable job of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do live in a marvelous location. As the seasons change you get bonus changes that makes it more interesting. My wife has had congestive heart failure for 23 years and I was her major caretaker. It all changed when I had a mild stroke. She actually could step up and take care of me. Both of us keep our own things going to keep us interested in life. Do what is fun and gives you the best rewards.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It ain't easy, one day at a time sometimes minute by minute. Keep on being kind to yourself and having fun!

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.