Sunday, February 05, 2023

The day[s] after eye surgery

 Well Friday morning was a huge surprise after seeing the moon so clearly.

At 9AM the Tech, Josh, called me to follow up with how things were going. 


He had his basic questions that he had to ask. Date of Birth, name, and so forth. Was the eye swollen, red, dripping, fuzzy,...it was a list of things he had to go through. 

Nope, nope, nope, all good.

The sun just broke over the trees when he asked how things were going. I gasped like a little girl and told him that the pine trees outside my house had texture in the bark along with beautiful colors. I said the snow was incredible with all the contrasts of white, blues, and shadows.

Really. I was floored at how incredible things looked. Stunned would be a good word. The world had depth to it.

Josh asked me to look at the chart that I'd been given and stand 10 feet away from it.

What could I see?

Dang, I could read line 8 and sort of stumbled through line 9. He chuckled and then said, "Wow, we are happy when our patients can read the big E at the top of the chart!"

Yep, I was giddy and not from the meds they gave me during surgery. I was giddy at the visual explosions of color, light, and clarity. 

Josh signed off and said he'd talk to me next Friday after the Right Eye Surgery. He said he'd tell Dr. Whitford the good news I relayed to him.

I knew ahead of time that my close up vision couldn't be corrected. So I prepared myself to deal with great distance vision and crappy close vision.
I had purchased a pair of cheap readers. I am totally annoyed at having to wear them on the end of my nose. Maybe I'll get those half glasses. 

Now here is the funny part.

Cons of getting your eyes fixed.

You can see your face without glasses and at my age it looks just weird to me. I can see all the Crow's Feet at the edges of my eyes that my glasses hid. Oh crap, where did all those wrinkles come from??

As I looked in the bathroom mirror, I was aghast at the spots, dust and smears that were on the mirror! OMG. I immediately stopped what I was doing and cleaned it. The clean mirror did not make me look younger. Perhaps I should have left it smeary....

Huh. 

I'm working out a way to use my cheaters for computer work, but it is a pain taking them on and off. I have to peer over them and I don't like that much.

BUT, I can wear regular sunglasses outside and I don't have to wear the Granny Over the Glasses Sunglasses!

Saturday was the first day I ventured out without glasses and took a nice long walk with Mr. Charlie. He was so happy to be out and about with me. 

I took my infrared camera out with a filter that only allows IR in Black and White. I know, odd choice after being able to see colors. But I could see such wonderful contrasts through the view finder.

For now, I spent a very limited time using my computer. But as time goes on I imagine I'll get back into the swing of things.

Charlie walking with me on the road:


Charlie saying he will not enter deep snow with his vest on:


Beautiful contrasts:



12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying the world with your new vision. The brain takes a bit longer to grasp it. I no longer need glasses, but it was a month before I felt safe going downstairs without them. I could see fine but my brain didn't seem to believe it. Likewise driving. I felt nervous without something on my face, just force of habit. And I wear sunglasses much more now that a lot more light is getting in.

    All in all, glad to hear you're doing well, and good luck on the second surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I went for my first drive this morning without glasses. I don't have any vision issues other than close up things which apparently can't be corrected. I had to go get milk and I realized when I walked in the gas station, that I wasn't wearing my glasses.
      I even enjoyed a beautiful and colorful morning sunrise!

      It is good! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. This is great news! Those photos are really lovely, I like the black and white. Little Charlie is barely visible. I am probably very weird, but I don't want to be without my glasses. I have worn them since I was a very little girl. I also look better in them than not and yes, they hide the bags under my eyes! I wore contacts for a short time, but glasses are part of my face. Said the weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may not be without them either, I may get a pair to wear while hiking and photographing landscapes and what not so I don't have to fiddle with the on and off.
      Though in the dead of winter, it is nice not to have the glasses steam up!

      Delete
  3. That is all such great news. I remember as a kid getting my first glasses and I was so surprised that I was suppose to see anything clearly. It was the trees for me too. One more eye to go. Good for you!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous1:17 PM

    You just never know what you've been missing!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy for you! And oh yeah about the surprises in the mirror.... I prefer not to wear my glasses when I look in the mirror....
    I only need them for reading and computer work, my distance vision is still fine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh, I was worried about seeing the dust, smears and spider webs. And, funny enough, not sure I want to have a bare face! I call myself the whitest white person. I can prove this by the fact that my freshman yearbook photo was so pale that, for my sophomore year, they darkened it and I looked like a film negative. I have some super special large purple cat eye glasses that really give my face distinction and outline my eyes (I have white eyebrows and lashes, too. I am not sure I want my face to be naked, lol. Will I need makeup? Ick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make up is over rated...LOL. I couldn't see to put it on and quit wearing it when I moved to our little farm 30+ years ago.
      Yep, not sure what I'm going to do yet.

      Delete
  7. Aww Charlie! He is so cute in the middle photo. Lil' guy waiting at the end of the snowy foot path :)

    My corrected distance vision blurs my near vision. Very annoying! I take my glasses off (and don't wear my contacts) when planning on reading or taking photos. In time, you will figure out what works best for you. I think wearing eye protecting in the woods is always a good idea.

    Your last photo looks like a big feminine eye! Peeeering down intently from the sky...at you. Yikes!!! SO realistic. Looks like someone is watching you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, I get that. If I have to get progressive lenses, I will. I'll find out in March.

      Yep, he did not want to face the deep snow with his vest on. I took it off and he ran like a wild child.

      The sky is so much more distinct in Infrared, that must be why I like it!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.