Sunday, February 26, 2023

Out and about


Charlie and I went for a nice long hike on Saturday. I took my converted Infrared Camera but took the filters off from it.

I thought it would be interesting to see how it photographed without the nm spectrum filters on it. I used the snow to get a white balance. I like how the snow is white and the shadows are cool while the trees, bark, and foliage has a slight red tint to it.

That said, the lighting was different too. The camera was able to take in much more light than any normal camera.

Parts of the creek were frozen. These little strange holes were in the ice. I have noticed them several times in parts of the creek. I looked up Ice Stars and got a lot of different information about them. I know they appear in the creek after rain/snow/freeze/and more rain and snow and freezing. I always assumed it was because this part of the creek had water flowing up from tiny springs below.



These little ice stars only form in this section of the creek. Odd but interesting!

The water flows pretty easily a bit further downstream as more tiny springs add to the small creek.
I enjoyed just walking along and looking at the shadows on the snow and the reflections on the water. The wild life hadn't been moving across the area much and most of the snow was still pretty smooth.


I imagine on Sunday, that will change and the wildlife will be out feeding before the next weather system moves in Sunday night.

We are to get up to an inch of rain Sunday night and Monday. Heavy rain on top of the snow and ice we have will create some flash flooding and a hard run off of melting snow.

Thankfully, I don't have to go anywhere and I can hike down to the creek to watch the run off.

Charlie enjoyed our Saturday hike.





12 comments:

  1. Charlie amazes me! Your area is simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlie has no idea he is little, :) He just likes being a dog.

      Delete
  2. Jump Charlie jump!
    Those ice stars are neat!
    It will be interesting to see what happens with the river that is very close to us when spring break up happens. Flooding has been known to happen here... but I do have pens on high ground for the horses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are lovely, just magical. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The close-up Ice Star photo cracking looks like tree roots emerging from the brown center. Very cool!! Good shot & angle of Charlie jumping! Such a brave lil' guy. It sure has been a beautiful weekend for hiking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:38 PM

    That camera takes some spectacular photos....especially when you are pushing the button. Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness, thank you for that compliment!

      Delete
  6. Oh Charlie can really jump! Those are some interesting ice stars:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never found any info on ice stars in creeks though, only in lakes. Totally strange!

      Delete
  7. You adjusting the camera to experiment really did give you great photos. I really like that very first photo with Charlie. It is a good composition and the light values are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it was fun to use the IR camera and no filters!

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.