Monday, February 20, 2023

Hiemal and Apricity & heaters

[see the little black doggy in the far 
left side of the photo?]
Hiemal:
of or relating to Winter

Apricity:
the warmth of the Winter Sun

These odd words are pretty accurate at describing my latest hiking adventures. While in the woods and out of the wind, I can appreciate Apricity.

When moving into the deep valleys I enjoy Hiemal temperatures in the shaded part. 

However, Olive and I found a rather warm area next to one of the large caves we found. She basked in sun.


We trekked along the bluffs to find the large bluff rock with a 'hole' in it.


The orange arrow points to where I was...


I did NOT venture out on the rock. The top of it was covered in ice... even Charlie didn't venture any further.


We headed up along a hogback ridge and found a spot to sit and have snacks and take a breather. 


My goal this month was to find out if one could get to the top of that bluff. 

I sure felt humbled by finding that spot and observing the river from 80 feet above it.

Now to return when the ice is gone and explore the narrow and very steep valley below it. Will it give me an entrance to that 'hole'? I don't know yet.

Olive said this is what she had needed before her work week. She needed to get the cobwebs out of her head and fresh air into her lungs. 
She likened our little adventure to Lewis and Clark.

I laughed and said that it was better to be Lewis and Clark than Thelma & Louise -- because that relationship ended badly!

Heaters ~~~

When I got home I found out that the motor and fan on our heater was screaming and misbehaving. It screeched and groaned and made the awful-ist noises. It had been getting worse over the all week.

At 8PM, Olive showed up with 3 large space heaters. I turned off the offensive heater and we temporarily solved the problem with one space heater. 

Now to go on and start with phone calls to replace this heater.
Photo from 2016 when the Cabin Heater was installed. Direct Vent LP heater. For our Tiny Home we use about 200 gallons of LP per winter. So it has done a great job so far. Our last heater of the same kind lasted 15 years before we replaced it.


Of course this week promises to be fraught with horrible winter weather all week. So any chance of fixing our heat right away may be an issue.


This morning I made some phone calls. Now I wait for someone to get back to me.


11 comments:

  1. Yesterday was such gorgeous weather. Perfect for Winter hiking. You and Olive were having fun, two character peas in a pod!! Hope you get your heater replaced sooner than later. They sure don't make things like they used to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I was told getting parts for our heater was an issue, but I said if I could get heat this week, I'd have them install something they could service and maintain.
      Now I wait for a tech to call. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. How do they know to breakdown at the worst time? You and Olive look happy as clams, what a beautiful smile she has.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding. We discussed replacing it a few weeks ago when all was fine and now? I called at 8am to a local company and they said a tech would get back to me.
      9 hours and no call. :(

      Delete
  3. You and Olive are certainly partners in crime! And I fervently hope you can get a heater installed asap. Good thing you have a small place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are, she is a very good friend indeed.
      No luck on return calls from heating folks. Really? Sigh.

      Delete
  4. What a great trek!! You find such great places. I spent half a winter with a window fan as my blower for my house until I got a fan that I needed. It is a bad scene.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no on the heat problems. Sure hope the repair happens soon:) My knees would be weak looking down from that clif...you are braver than I am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks! I am not afraid of heights but I am cautious. The only sense I get on these bluffs are a sense of wonder.

      Delete
  6. What a very interesting hole/rock! I do hope you can find a way to explore it in better weather. Must have been a thin and powerful stream of water eons ago to have formed that.
    Hope your heater woes are fixed asap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley, my Geologist friend said that most likely that huge rock broke off from the bluff and landed in the river to rest against the bluff. Water over eons eroded a larger hole in it.

      But it is all a guess isn't it?
      I wish the rock could talk.

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.