Monday, February 13, 2023

Drifting in the Driftless

 I thought it was cool to come up with that: Drifting in the Driftless.

Because that is exactly what we did together. I had a goal in mind, but I abandoned that goal and just decided to drift back and forth like the tiny stream that meandered through this narrow valley. 

The stream is not indicated on the map so it must come from various springs along the way. The valley is no more than 50 yards wide at its widest spot. The north facing hillside is steep with many 'dry' runs and rock shelters.
The south facing side is nothing but bluffs dotted with caves that I did not explore [this time].

Charlie and I followed the valley from the west end to the east end where it ended at the new highway that was built in the 1970's. 

Photo of the Kickapoo River
taken with the Infrared Camera.


The ice 'slide' in IR.



Rock Shelter with ice, IR.


I made a series of very short video clips and stuck them together to form a little view of what it was like. The video of course doesn't do it justice but perhaps one can get the sense of just how narrow and secluded this area was. 

I'm keeping the location to myself as I am pretty sure there are some rare plant species that thrive in this micro climate that is so unusual. 


So in the first part of the video you will see a familiar spot of the Kickapoo River. It was frozen over but the grinding noise was the ice moving and trying to make passage through the river. It unnerved Charlie enough so he started to whine.

The rest is with no sound because I don't think anyone would enjoy listening to the mic noises.

The video is 1:44 seconds. To see and understand just how narrow and wild looking this place was...I had to do it as clips.

Hope it is worth your time.


I was going to go back today but needed and eyeball rest. I'll be going back on Wednesday to visit the hogback above the caves. At least that is the plan.

Happy Drifting

Peregrinating

and Maundering about....


10 comments:

  1. Fun sound! I guess that could get unnerving after a while. Charlie is so cute walking on the ice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very cool. I love being able to safely watch the river do its thing. I hope to be on the bluffs this week and observe from there.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for not revealing the exact location! I know some similar places near here, morels, orchids, not telling anyone. It's a good way to protect plant life from people who want to rush in and pick, or maybe just trample around seeing and admiring it. Our footsteps are very heavy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Several years ago a natural area about 2 hours away from me got caught up in a social media craze. I'd seen the place and hiked it before the crowds. They shut the place down for repairs, it got trashed and ruined. Now they have to police it.
      It makes me sad that people do that.
      I like to find places like this and enjoy them without ruining them.
      Nature is to be loved and not used for selfies and social media photos or videos.
      Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Fun Video! Charlie is so cute and that frozen waterfall is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I heard the ice grinding, along with river flow. Understandable that Charlie found it scary. That is a lot of flesh eating gnarly ice teeth!

    Glad you are listening to your eye's need for rest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently the brain --> eye communication can take a few weeks to straighten things out. Maybe my brain - eye connection had a little short! :)

      Delete
  5. I sure do admire your adventurous spirit. You live is a gorgeous place, Val.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was really beautiful and something I would never otherwise get to see. Thank you. I hope your eyes are healing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an outstanding video. I am glad there was ice for the dog to walk on as at first I was scared for him.

    ReplyDelete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.