Thursday, February 16, 2023

Lights, lightbox, colors...

The weather did not cooperate at all for heading back out to explore along the Kickapoo River. I may have another chance this weekend.

It was supposed to start raining in the afternoon but it started as soon as I finished running errands and doing chores.

I thought I'd try working with the Light Box I'd received. It came with 5 colored back rounds and two pieces of cardboard squares. One set of black and the other set was white on one side and silver reflective on the other.

The light ring on the top of the box can't be moved, but came with a diffuser sheet. If this is all garble-de-gook to you, don't be alarmed. It was all new stuff for me too.

The colored sheets are plastic which is good and bad. The bend in the plastic reflects light sometimes in unwanted places. The light ring on top is white and it took a bit for me to figure out how to make it brighter and dimmer.

I even just turned off the light and used a colored light through the top to give me different effects.

I made a DIY light box before with blocks and  paper I taped to things.  I thought this would be useful and fun.

Here is my favorite Grumpy Dragon shot from the side with the lightbox on its side, light shining on the dragon from the left side. I used the green back drop. Funny how the green gave off different hues shot in this manner.


Then I decided to try the green dinosaur in the Lego flower garden.
Green backround with lighting from the top.


Same scene though I changed the lighting at the top to blue and boy was I surprised! It looked like it was taken in the middle of the night!


So I added the moon and stars.


And then I changed it to a bright red light [this was a tiny red balloon light!] that I set at the back of the box.


So light can dramatically change the over all look of everything inside the lightbox.

So I went to a black background. I adjusted the camera settings and thought it would be funny to have a Lego character interviewing a Hasboro character for a job.


Since I have two Mandalorians, I thought I'd do one more with blue/green light and a grey brick paper background I took from my craft paper supply.



The last experiment was with an yellow background and white light.  I used a Vintage Mode on the camera settings which was sort of fun.

It has possibilities, but I like the bright colors so much more.


I can't wait to use it for something much more useful, like macros of Lichen and other tiny things I can bring home and set up.


This last shot was made for a challenge in a Lego Flickr group.

A Gardener creates Love in her flower garden...



16 comments:

  1. Your light box will give you lots of options for taking great shots. All I have right now is a total white interior. I do know where I can get some different colored backgrounds from another lighting system that was gifted to me. I like all of your scenes with dragons and Mando.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also used craft paper for some of the back drops which gave me more variety. Thanks! I even used pieces of cloth. There is so much you can do!

      Delete
  2. That green background is really pretty. You have endless light box and creativity options!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do. The craft/scrap book paper offers endless backgrounds too, especially since I have a lot of different types of paper.

      Delete
  3. Oh, boy, are you going to have fun! The dragon has Frieda's facial expression 😄 The different colors create a dramatic difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my all time favorite dragon. I put it on the table if I am having a grumpy day.

      Delete
  4. Now I am thinking that I may need a light box too...what fun to play around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is fun to mess with and experiment. Today I collected some lichen to try photographing.

      Delete
  5. You're certainly having a lot of fun with your light box. Like you, I've made my own in the past. I'm wondering now if you can pick up old Fresnel lenses, to play more with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read about those lenses but they are used for magnifying right? Also you can use one to start a fire in the wild!

      Delete
  6. No, they are the colored lenses used in early TV production to create color in live cameras. That's why I thought of them,, for color fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be clearer, I'm talking about the color gels used with the lenses. Back when I worked in tv, cameramen had to juggle the lenses and gels to get color balance in early TV cameras.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a light like that that I can dial in just about any color I wish!

      Delete
  8. I have no idea what you are talking about, but I love the creativity of your photos! So fun to look at!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous3:18 PM

    Are you sure you are not a scientist? Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am just a curious person, I wonder if that qualifies?

      Delete

Please include at least your first name if you are commenting Anonymously. Thank you.